• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Japanese
      • Home Country:
      • Japan
      • Current Location:
      • Japan

in FDA regulated low-acid canned food industry?

Hello teachers.

Would you read the following?

Traditionally, industry and regulators have depended on spot-checks of manufacturing conditions and random sampling of final products to ensure safe food. This approach, however, tends to be reactive, rather than preventive, and can be less efficient than the new system. The new system is known as Hazard Analysis and Critical Control Point, or HACCP (pronounced hassip). Many of its principles already are in place in the Food and Drug Administration (FDA) regulated low-acid canned food industry.

I've been confused and puzzled by the sentence marked red, especially by the word "regulated." Does this mean the following?

1. Many of its principles already are in place in FDA. And FDA regulated low-acid canned food industry.

or

2. May of its principles already are in place in FDA, which regulated low-acid canned food industry.

In either case, I think the word "FDA" works as both the object of the preposition "in" and the subject of the verb "regulated" in the original. Doesn't this violate the grammar of English? Is this sentence natural?

Would you let me know whether my guess is correct or not?

Thank you very much in advance for your help.

yam.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • China

Re: in FDA regulated low-acid canned food industry?

Many of its principles already are in place in the Food and Drug Administration (FDA) regulated low-acid canned food industry.

Grammar is correct as written. This sentence states that:
    1. The FDA (Food and Drug Administration) is now regulating the industry of canning food that is low in acid.
    2. HACCP principles are now being implemented as the FDA performs that regulating.

I'm bothered by another phrase in your post: "... can be less efficient than the new system." This usage tends to project the old system into the future, when it seems clear there is a new system being used now and going forward. Better to say, "... has proved less efficient than the new system." Why have a new system if it is only sometimes ("can be") more efficient?