[Resume] Could someone check my very first esl resume, please?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Melan1e

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Dutch
Home Country
Germany
Current Location
Vietnam

Last edited:

billmcd

Key Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Hello,
I've read a lot about resumes and there is a lot of contradictory information. The rules for ESL resumes seem to be a bit different as well.
For example, do you send it in an attached document or in the body of the email? Just text or one of the nice designs which take longer to open and I've only got 20 seconds to get attention?
Do I need a cover letter? (I'm in Vietnam)
Do you say it in your own words or filled with power words?

Could you please have a look at this one? It has been checked by two native non-teachers who didn't agree on the punctuation and some little details.

Thank you so much.

Objective:
Language teacher with CELTA qualification, 6 years experience teaching English and German, seeking a position to utilise the skills, abilities and experience and to improve student-centred approach. (What is your understanding / definition of a "student-entered approach"?)

Skills and experience:
Language teaching:

• Achieved remarkable results (documented?) by adjusting to students' needs and clarifying grammar (rules?) with methods that were comprehensible to all students.
  • Taught intensive (?) courses and condensed English and German courses until the students reached the required standard to join regular classes.
  • Prepared students for Trinity and First Certificate in small groups and one-on-one by motivating students to converse in English and provide them guidance to improve their writing, reading, and speaking skills. [STRIKE]to successfully pass the exam.[/STRIKE]
  • Acted as substitute teacher at all levels [STRIKE]for teachers on sick leave [/STRIKE]to ensure the academy, with more than 50 teachers at 5 establishments, could guarantee 100% attendance, offering full value classes.
Other tuition (Suggest you use "Instruction"; "tuition" is not universally understood as such)

• Instructed Taichi to women, who ranged in age from 30 to 90, at Centro de la mujer, Spain.
  • Volunteered with swimming lessons for pre-scholar children during university career.

Language related:

• Translated, interpreted for and assisted immigrants from Africa and long term holiday makers (?) from Central Europe at police stations, courts, and hospitals, communicating with local authorities and doctors by order of several agencies in sensitive and complex matters, being aware of cultural differences.
  • Researched [STRIKE]and understood [/STRIKE]legal terminology used in court [STRIKE]and [/STRIKE]for written translations in four languages.
Work experience:

• Translator / Interpreter: worked with several agencies e.g. A****** and A******, Murcia, Spain: 2004 – 2008 and 2010 - 2011.
  • Taichi teacher at Centro de la Mujer, C****, Murcia, Spain, 2006 – 2008
  • English and German Teacher at F*******, Murcia, Spain, 1999 – 2005.

Education and languages:

• CELTA Certificate: ILA HCMC, Vietnam (1 month course) 2011
  • Trinity: Grade 12 (with Distinction) Murcia, Spain 2004
  • Legal translator / interpreter for German and Spanish, S*****, Madrid, 2002 – 2003
  • Master of Science: W******** University, The Netherlands, 1989 – 1994
  • German, Dutch: native languages
  • English, Spanish: native proficiency
  • French: basic knowledge

Impressive credentials; a few other "little details". Unfortunately your "bullets" aren't visible on you primary post, but they do show on the editing page. I would use them as you have used them.

Melan1e

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Dutch
Home Country
Germany
Current Location
Vietnam
Oh, thank you so much.
And thank you for being impressed with my credentials. I was only trying to camouflage my non-native origins. Nationality seems to be worth more than any education or experience.

During the celta course it was all about being student centred, that is give them tasks they can work on alone or in small groups. In contrast to being teacher centred, the traditional way what I did – and what means lecturing a passive class – was fiercely criticized. So the teacher would reduce “the real teaching” to a minimum and rather monitor activities and correct them.
There was so much emphasis on this, and on Scrivener being the bible of esl teaching that I assumed that everybody is familiar with this. I will have to meditate on something else or leave it out then.

Achieved remarkable results (documented?) … At the academy we used to have the lists with the marks hanging on the wall. And also the average and top results per teacher. I don't have anything that I could show to prove it. So do I leave it out then?

Taught intensive (?) courses: should I detail this any further? 3-week intensive courses for beginners and intermediate students?

long term holiday makers (?) :cool: that's how we call them. Not really expats as they might migrate between Spain and their home country like birds. But maybe expats is a better word that everybody is familiar with.

I wonder why you can't see the bullets. They appear on my screen...

Thank you so much again.

billmcd

Key Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Oh, thank you so much.
And thank you for being impressed with my credentials. I was only trying to camouflage my non-native origins. Nationality seems to be worth more than any education or experience.

During the celta course it was all about being student centred, that is give them tasks they can work on alone or in small groups. In contrast to being teacher centred, the traditional way what I did – and what means lecturing a passive class – was fiercely criticized. So the teacher would reduce “the real teaching” to a minimum and rather monitor activities and correct them.
There was so much emphasis on this, and on Scrivener being the bible of esl teaching that I assumed that everybody is familiar with this. I will have to meditate on something else or leave it out then. I am sure that there are pros and cons to this approach, but in any case I would think that students must reach a certain level of progress before the approach can be applied, particularly with more elementary levels. If you think this is a generally accepted and applied procedure, then leave it in.

Achieved remarkable results (documented?) … At the academy we used to have the lists with the marks hanging on the wall. And also the average and top results per teacher. I don't have anything that I could show to prove it. So do I leave it out then? If you leave it in, be prepared to discuss it and how results were measured..

Taught intensive (?) courses: should I detail this any further? 3-week intensive courses for beginners and intermediate students? What made instruction "intensive"?

long term holiday makers (?) :cool: that's how we call them. Not really expats as they might migrate between Spain and their home country like birds. But maybe expats is a better word that everybody is familiar with. Either way, is it relevant?

I wonder why you can't see the bullets. They appear on my screen...

Thank you so much again.

b.

Melan1e

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Dutch
Home Country
Germany
Current Location
Vietnam
Sorry for long delays. I don't have a regular connection for the next few days.

If you think this is a generally accepted and applied procedure, then leave it in. I will think of something else. There is no point using an expression if nobody knows what it means.

What made instruction "intensive"? I assumed naturally that intensive courses were defined by many hours in a short time, so you can work quickly through a lot of material. Odd, something I've never thought about... The idea is to work in three weeks through the material that is taught in several months in a regular courses. Maybe 9 hours/week instead of 2 hours/week.

is it relevant? No, not at all really, not for the teacher job.

Thank you very much. I think it will work like this.

Status
Not open for further replies.