Native Language
Hindi
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
Hello,

I saw this comment by a reader under the
news about an alleged affair of US presidential hopeful Cain.
Gingrich is not any better. He cheated on his first and second wife. He left the first one as she lay dying of cancer to be with the 2nd wife, and the 3rd wife he is with now he cheated with her on the 2nd wife. The 3rd wife looks like a Stepford wife. It would seem racist to me that Gingrich can do it, but not Cain?

I checked the meaning of 'Stepford wife' and it means that a wife who is submissive and docile.

I have two questions on this:

1. Is this (calling someone a 'Stepford wife') considered a derogatory usage?
2. Do people in the UK understand the meaning of this expression or is it limited to the US?

Thank you

Barb_D

Staff member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
It's far more than "submissive and docile." It's based on a movie where the wives were robots, I believe, but if not robots, than brainwashed. They looked perfect, they were perfect cooks, they keps perfect houses. They had no thoughts of their own.

Yes, it would be rather derogatory -- you have no thoughts of your own, though you're pretty.

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
We understand it in the UK.

Olympian

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Hindi
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
@Barb_D, @5jj, thank you. :)

I wonder if 'having no thoughts of your own' and 'not being allowed to express them even if you have them' (as is the case in many Eastern countries) would both label a person as 'Stepford wife'. After all, a person labeling may not know the difference ....

waflob

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Germany

I wonder if 'having no thoughts of your own' and 'not being allowed to express them even if you have them' (as is the case in many Eastern countries) would both label a person as 'Stepford wife'. After all, a person labeling may not know the difference ....
Not really the same thing - check imdb.com for more details on the original film and remake.

Barb_D

Staff member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
No, it also needs to include the appearance of perfection in every aspect: looks, housekeeping, cooking, done automatically, as a robot would.

Olympian

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Hindi
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
@Barb_D, @waflob, thank you. :up:

Status
Not open for further replies.