what does " get going" mean?

i always hear the expression "get going" what does that mean, what expression can be used instead of that, and what are the other uses of this pattern, that is get+ verb+ ing. and finally, is that expression formal or informal.

Re: what does " get going" mean?

Quote Originally Posted by ssendur
    i always hear the expression "get going" what does that mean, what expression can be used instead of that, and what are the other uses of this pattern, that is get+ verb+ ing. and finally, is that expression formal or informal.
    Get going! or Let's get going! means "Let's hurry up and let's go", " C'mon, let's shake a leg", "Let's get this show on the road!", "Time's a wasting!", "Let's get a move on!", "Let's get moving here!", "Let's get cracking!", etc.

It's an informal way of saying "Let's hurry". I can't think of any other examples right now.

thanks, i appreciate it. i fuckin' love this forum and its people, you are the men!

Quote Originally Posted by ssendur
    thanks, i appreciate it. i fuckin' love this forum and its people, you are the men!
    Well, you are welcome ssendur. I would appreciate your thank you message a lot more if you could restrain yourself from using vulgarities on this forum. The F word can indeed reinforce a statement but if you can't come up with a better word, please in the very least make use of the asterixes.

Thanks,

Marylin

i am sorry if i am misstaken, i wanted to emphisize my happiness and i couldnt pick up a better expression for it:). what would you choose to use if you want to show extreme happiness?
    i am sorry again:(, i thought that f words are a part of common american culture.
    my bad, i am sorry.