Student or Learner
Native Language
English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Hi there

I know you can't do the work for me, but I submitted my pre task sheet and gotsome of the questions wrong - I have been asked to re submit, but I'm a little uncertain as to the correct answers - any pointers would be really greatfully recieved.

I've been to France two years ago

(i) I went to France two years ago

(ii) Past

(iii) Used for an action that has happened
[FONT=&quot]2(i) and (ii) – you have not identified the correct tense or use

[/FONT]
3. Can you come for a drink tonight?

Sorry, I'll play tennis with my sister.
(i) I'm playing tennis with my sister.

(ii) Present Continuous

(iii) Used for an action happening now

[FONT=&quot]3(iii) you have not identified the correct use of the present continuous here

[/FONT]
4. At the station I realised I left the tickets at home.

(i) At the station I realised I had left the tickets at home

(ii) Past Perfect

· [FONT=&quot]4(iii) more detail about the use of the past perfect is needed.[/FONT]

thanks x

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
(ii) Past
'Past simple' is the tense you used in #2.i. You have not named the tense used in the original.
Your reason could be used for both the original and #2.i. Why is only #2.1 correct?

[/FONT]
(ii) Present Continuous

[FONT=&quot]3(iii) you have not identified the correct use of the present continuous here
In the original invitation, 'tonight' is clearly after 'now', so your answer in #3.iii cannot be correct.

[/FONT]
(ii) Past Perfect

· [FONT=&quot]4(iii) more detail about the use of the past perfect is needed.[/FONT]
The explanation you have given could apply to 'left' and 'has left'. Why, precisely, has the speaker used the form 'had left'?

I recommend that you read about English verb tenses in books such as :
Teaching Tenses: Ideas for Presenting and Practising Tenses in English - Rosemary Aitken.

Meaning and the English verb - Geoffrey Leech

MissGiggles

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Thanks for the help - and for the book recomendations, I will definately invest!

(ii) Past
'Past simple' is the tense you used in #2.i. You have not named the tense used in the original.
Your reason could be used for both the original and #2.i. Why is only #2.1 correct?

Ok - but is 2.1 correct? i.e it should be " I went to France two years ago"?
If so, then I understand that it should be Past Simple rather than just past.

[/FONT]
(ii) Present Continuous

In the original invitation, 'tonight' is clearly after 'now', so your answer in #3.iii cannot be correct.

Ok - so if I say it is"used for an action happening in the near future" is that now correct?

[/FONT]
(ii) Past Perfect

The explanation you have given could apply to 'left' and 'has left'. Why, precisely, has the speaker used the form 'had left'?

Would the correct answer to this be " Used for an action that has happened before another action in the past"

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
[FONT=&quot]'Past simple' is the tense you used in #2.i. You have not named the tense used in the original.
[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Yes
[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] If so, then I understand that it should be Past Simple rather than just past. That is better.
Were you required to name the tense form in the original?

[/FONT]

Ok - so if I say it is"used for an action happening in the near future" is that now correct? It's much better. If you read up on the present continuous, you will find the word 'arrangement' often appears.

[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]4(iii) more detail about the use of the past perfect is needed.[/FONT]
Would the correct answer to this be " Used for an action that has happened before another action in the past"? :up:
By the way, the Rosemary Aitken book will be useful both before and during your CELTA course, and during your early days of teaching. It very clearly sets out how the forms are constructed and how they are used, and gives useful teaching tips.

Last edited:

MissGiggles

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
[FONT=&quot]'Past simple' is the tense you used in #2.i. You have not named the tense used in the original.
[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Yes
[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] If so, then I understand that it should be Past Simple rather than just past. That is better.
Were you required to name the tense form in the original?

Sorry, no, the task was .....
[/FONT]
Look at the verbs underlined in the following incorrect sentences. In each:
(i). correct the sentence
(ii) name the correct tense
(iii) say why this correct tense should be used in the example.

Ok - so if I say it is"used for an action happening in the near future" is that now correct? It's much better. If you read up on the present continuous, you will find the word 'arrangement' often appears.

Again, thanks so much for the help .... I have ordered that book.

we have also been recomended to buy/read these too, particularly the * ones which are required for the course.

[/FONT]
A Course in English Language Teaching – Penny Ur (CUP)
Teaching Practice Handbook – Gower and Walters (Heinemann)
*Learning Teaching – Scrivener (Heinemann)
A Practical English Grammar – Thompson and Martinet (OUP)
*Practical English Usage – Michael Swan (OUP)
*English Grammar in Use – Raymond Murphy (CUP)

[FONT=&quot]
[/FONT]

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
All of the books on your list are well worth reading if you are serious about teaching. I am surprised that the list includes Scrivener and Ur , but not The Practice of English Language Teaching by Jeremy Harmer

The Murphy is a life-saver for many beginning teachers, though you will come to find its shortcomings as you become more confident in your own knowledge. I learnt a lot from an early edition of Thomson & Martinet, though I now find them a little too simplistic. Don't let that put you off - they are very helpful for beginning teachers.

There are comments on two books here:

[FONT=&quot]'Teaching Tenses' by Rosemary Aitken [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]'Practical English Usage' by Michael Swan [/FONT]

MissGiggles

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Hi

Just wanted to say thanks again.
I have now been offered an interview for tomorrow!
Bit worried about it as not sure how to prepare for it, but I am sure it will be ok.

G x

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
Be honest - if you don't know the answer to a question, admit it. It's easy to dig yourself into a hole if an inappropriate guess turns into a long waffle.

Good luck. Let us know how you get on.

MissGiggles

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Bad news I'm afraid .. looks like I will be swatting up on my grammer over Christmas!

I got in!

Not sure how as I'm sure my spelling test was rubbish! nevermind x

thanks for all the help x

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
Bad news I'm afraid .. looks like I will be swatting up on my gramm[STRIKE]e[/STRIKE]ar over Christmas
Well done.

The more you can brush up on your basic grammar , the more relaxed you can be when you start the course. Don't worry about everything - you will still be learning in your fifth year of teaching.

If you use the Murphy to help you out, don't just read; try the exercises yourself. You will sometimes find you give a different answer to that provided in the key, or that you are not sure whether more than one answer is possible. This will prepare you for the time students ask you "Can't I say xxxx here?"

Good luck with the course.

Status
Not open for further replies.