Results 1 to 7 of 7
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Vietnamese
      • Home Country:
      • Vietnam
      • Current Location:
      • Vietnam

    • Join Date: Nov 2011
    • Posts: 191
    #1

    never before/ never?

    I need to paraphrase this sentence:

    I have never heard of such a weak excuse

    I can think of two possibilities but since the key page containing the answer is torn out, I don't know which one is correct:
    ->Never have I heard such a weak excuse.
    ->Never before have I heard such a weak excuse.

    So are these both grammatically correct? Which one has the closest meaning to the original?

  1. 5jj's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • Czech Republic

    • Join Date: Oct 2010
    • Posts: 28,134
    #2

    Re: never before/ never?

    Quote Originally Posted by vkhu View Post
    I have never heard of such a weak excuse

    ->Never have I heard such a weak excuse.
    ->Never before have I heard such a weak excuse.
    Both of them are correct grammatically, but neither of them says exactly the same as the original. There is a difference between 'hearing' and excuse and 'hearing of' an excuse.

    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Vietnamese
      • Home Country:
      • Vietnam
      • Current Location:
      • Vietnam

    • Join Date: Nov 2011
    • Posts: 191
    #3

    Re: never before/ never?

    Quote Originally Posted by 5jj View Post
    Both of them are correct grammatically, but neither of them says exactly the same as the original. There is a difference between 'hearing' and excuse and 'hearing of' an excuse.
    There is Could you elaborate?

  2. JohnParis's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • France

    • Join Date: Oct 2011
    • Posts: 773
    #4

    Re: never before/ never?

    Paraphrase "I have never heard of such a weak excuse".

    I have heard many excuses, but never one as feeble as this one.

    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Vietnamese
      • Home Country:
      • Vietnam
      • Current Location:
      • Vietnam

    • Join Date: Nov 2011
    • Posts: 191
    #5

    Re: never before/ never?

    Quote Originally Posted by JohnParis View Post
    Paraphrase "I have never heard of such a weak excuse".

    I have heard many excuses, but never one as feeble as this one.
    I appreciate your help but currently I just want to know the difference between "hearing" and "hearing of"

  3. 5jj's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • Czech Republic

    • Join Date: Oct 2010
    • Posts: 28,134
    #6

    Re: never before/ never?

    Quote Originally Posted by vkhu View Post
    I appreciate your help but currently I just want to know the difference between "hearing" and "hearing of"
    If you hear of something, you learn about it from somebody else; you do not hear it yourself.

    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Vietnamese
      • Home Country:
      • Vietnam
      • Current Location:
      • Vietnam

    • Join Date: Nov 2011
    • Posts: 191
    #7

    Re: never before/ never?

    Quote Originally Posted by 5jj View Post
    If you hear of something, you learn about it from somebody else; you do not hear it yourself.

    Aright. Thanks for the help.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •