Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Korean
Home Country
South Korea
Current Location
South Korea
I'm sorry this might be a scientific question, but from the standpoint of common sense by native speakers, what the tiny tube of air do you think is made of? I mean, does the tube have the surface of water covering all around or without water? Is it an empty air itself? If it is, how can it be differed or separated from the outer air? I'm sorry.

ex)You can make air move faster than the speed of sound by doing a simple trick; throw a rock in a pond. In a recent study, researchers showed that as a rock falls into a flat surface of water, it carves out a tiny tube of air. This tube connects the sinking rock to the air above the pond. The tube doesn't exist for very long, though- almost immeidately, the surrounding water pushes on the sides. This pressure is stronger in the middle than at the ends. As a result, the tube looks like an hourglass, where the middle gets smaller as the water forces the air out. There's no room in the hourglass for water and air,so as the water comes in the air escapes. These jets of air can blast faster than the speed of sound, the scientists, found.

Last edited:

keannu

VIP Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Korean
Home Country
South Korea
Current Location
South Korea
I'm sorry this might be a scientific question, but from the standpoint of common sense by native speakers, what the tiny tube of air do you think is made of? I mean, does the tube have the surface of water covering all around or without water? Is it an empty air itself? It it is, how can it be differed or separated from the outer air? I'm sorry.

ex)You can make air move faster than the speed of sound by doing a simple trick; throw a rock in a pond. In a recent study, researchers showed that as a rock falls into a flat surface of water, it carves out a tiny tube of air. This tube connects the sinking rock to the air above the pond. The tube doesn't exist for very long, though- almost immeidately, the surrounding water pushes on the sides. This pressure is stronger in the middle than at the ends. As a result, the tube looks like an hourglass, where the middle gets smaller as the water forces the air out. There's no room in the hourglass for water and air,so as the water comes in the air escapes. These jets of air can blast faster than the speed of sound, the scientists, found.

Maybe I gave an uninteresting big question...

JohnParis

Member Type
Retired Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
France
I don't think a tube is created.
I believe that a tube-shaped bubble of air is created by the displacement of water as the rock falls onto its flat surface, begins to sink and forces air upwards.

John

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
Maybe I gave an uninteresting big question...
Maybe we are more interested in language questions in this forum.

Imagine the 'tube' to be a deep U-shaped depression in the water. The rock is at the bottom of this. Above the rock is air, and surrounding the air is water.

keannu

VIP Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Korean
Home Country
South Korea
Current Location
South Korea
Maybe we are more interested in language questions in this forum.

Imagine the 'tube' to be a deep U-shaped depression in the water. The rock is at the bottom of this. Above the rock is air, and surrounding the air is water.

Perfect!!!! You are even good at scientific logical reasoning as well. You are the best master!

Status
Not open for further replies.