Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Switzerland
"Consent by definition requires some sort of positive action on behalf of the recipient. However, it is a widely held misconception in data protection terms that consent requires that the user "opts-in" to their data being used. Prior consent does not mean the same thing as 'opt-in.'" (Email Marketing)

I think the above sentences should read as follows:

"Consent by definition requires some sort of positive action on the part of the recipient. However, it is a widely held misconception in data protection terms that consent requires that the user "opt-in" to his data being used. Prior consent does not mean the same thing as 'opt-in.'"

Do you agree?

Thanks!

JohnParis

Member Type
Retired Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
France
I have no problem with "the part" and "opt-in", but there is always the possibility that someone will cry sexist if "his" is used. "Their" is less flammable.

John

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
If you are one of those people who dislike 'they/them/their' used for singular referral, consider " "... consent requires that users "opt-in" to their data being used."

Allen165

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Switzerland
If you are one of those people who dislike 'they/them/their' used for singular referral, consider " "... consent requires that users "opt-in" to their data being used."

I'm not one of those people, and I can't modify the sentence; it was written by someone else (see the link in my first post).

Status
Not open for further replies.