context question

"duplication would cause instability in the internet and compromise its ability to deliver datagrams to networks."

what does compromise mean above, also what would you give it out of 10 in regard of its most populer contextual uses.
    thanks a lot.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • Laos

Re: context question

compromise = affect negatively
    I'm not sure what you mean by 'out of ten', but this meaning is failry common, though I'd imagine that giving ground in negotiations is probably more common.

i got it, thank you so much tdol, i didnt get your second sentence by " though i'd imagine that giving groung in negotiations is probably more common." could you please extend or expand( i dont know which word is more proper)

3. M56

Quote Originally Posted by tdol
    compromise = affect negatively
    I'm not sure what you mean by 'out of ten', but this meaning is failry common, though I'd imagine that giving ground in negotiations is probably more common.
    <but this meaning is failry common>

Interesting typo.

4. M56

Quote Originally Posted by ssendur
    "duplication would cause instability in the internet and compromise its ability to deliver datagrams to networks."

what does compromise mean above, also what would you give it out of 10 in regard of its most populer contextual uses.
    thanks a lot.
    The lexical chunk/collocation (expression) there is "to compromise the/an/someone's ability to do something". I suggest you search Google using this "compromise * ability to", and don't forget to use the quotes ("). You can then check some of the results to see the expression in context.

your suggestions are so intelligence involved, i wish i could have had instructors like you when i was in my english language preparation classes. all our education system was memorization oriented. you know what, i dont like turkey.

6. M56

Quote Originally Posted by ssendur
    your suggestions are so intelligence involved, i wish i could have had instructors like you when i was in my english language preparation classes. all our education system was memorization oriented. you know what, i dont like turkey.