Member Type
Other
Native Language
Galician
Home Country
Armenia
Current Location
Antilles
With exception of longer and colder winter, I found the lifestyle of Quebec much similar to that of Sweden: the public transportation system, (the) direction of traffic, (the) busy streets of downtown and the socializing of people in after-hours.

Dear teachers,

If you can see above, while listing 4 different things, I have omitted "the" for the second and third listed items, but I am not sure if it's grammatical.

Could you tell me whether that's acceptable?
and I would be grateful if you could also check the grammar of the whole sentence.

Thank you.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
With the exception of the longer and colder winter(s), I found the lifestyle of Quebec [STRIKE]much[/STRIKE] quite/very similar to that of Sweden: the public transport[STRIKE]ation[/STRIKE] system, the direction of traffic, the busy downtown streets [STRIKE]of downtown[/STRIKE], and the late-night socializing. [STRIKE]of people in after-hours. [/STRIKE]

Dear teachers,

[STRIKE]If[/STRIKE] As you can see above, while listing 4 different things, I have omitted "the" for the second and third listed items, but I am not sure if it's grammatical.

Could you tell me whether that's acceptable?
[STRIKE]and[/STRIKE] I would be grateful if you could also check the grammar of the whole sentence.

Thank you.

Please see my amendments above in red. I personally find keeping "the" in sounds more natural in this particular sentence, especially given that it definitely sounds odd to omit it with the fourth item in the list. I have also added two "the"s to your first sentence!

rainous

Member Type
Other
Native Language
Galician
Home Country
Armenia
Current Location
Antilles
With the exception of the longer and colder winter,

I got a question regarding the phrase above:

Was it necessary to add "the" in front of exception because I found a bunch of same phrases with it on the web?

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
Was it necessary to add "the" in front of "exception" because I found a bunch of same phrases with it on the web?
Don't trust the webs for examples of good English. 'The' is necessary.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
I got a question regarding the phrase above:

Was it necessary to add "the" in front of exception because I found a bunch of same phrases with it on the web?

Despite what you may have found on the predictably untrustworthy net, "With the exception of ..." is the standard correct phrase.

Status
Not open for further replies.