Help me to correct the grammar of my first fairytale!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

DreamingAnn

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
Oblivion

In a far away forest, deep within the mountains, hid a quiet and crystal clear lake. Inconspicuous it may be, yet a sip of water from it could lightly erase one’s memory, sad or happy, completely. That’s why it had always been guarded by a gorgeous Goddess. But oddly, or naturally, the fame of the Goddess’ beauty spread far more widely than the magical lake itself, and numerous knights, princes, or even kings all over the world wanted to find her and ask for her hand even though they had heard that none of their predecessors had even seen her face during those trials, let alone win her heart. Nevertheless, the searching passion had never been dampened.

Until one day, when a young and perseverant king finally reached the lake after he went out of the serpent maze, survived from the lava swamp, broke the spell of the alluring witch, and slaughtered the fire dragon.

The Goddess eventually revealed herself to the young king. “I’m impressed by your fortitude, for no other man had ever achieved what you did” said she, in her dreamy singing voice. “But I’m afraid this would be the end of your journey.”

“Tell me, my beautiful Goddess, tell me how to win your heart!” the king asked fervidly.

The Goddess slightly tilted her head, and smiled: “If you can drink up a bowl of water from the lake of oblivion and still remember me and your love for me, then I will certainly go with you.”

Surely the king knew the power of the magical lake, but there was nothing could ever stop his determination, especially at this very moment. Without uttered a word, he knelt beside the lake and filled the bowl, and just before he could drink the water however, he saw a Roman number engraved in a smooth black rock beside him: XI.

“What does this mean? The number of your suitors?” he asked bewildered.

The Goddess said nothing, but he believed he saw a glimpse of sadness in her beautiful eyes.

There was nothing more to say. Once again he gazed at her charming face and smiled softly. He drank up the water and fell into a deep sound sleep. Of course, he wouldn’t remember a thing after he woke up. That’s the magic of the lake.

The Goddess pointed her finger to the rock with a sign, and the number engraved in it changed to XII. Then she went towards the sleeping king and caressed his curled golden hair, left a soft kiss on his forehead, and whispered:

“Please! It’s a waste of your life, I beseech you, don’t fall for me, again.”

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
A charming story.:up:. I have to go to work now, but I'll correct the English when I get back, if nobody else has got there first.

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
The corrections in red concern grammar/vocabulary.
The alterations in green are my suggestions for improvemment in style.

In a far away forest, hidden deep within the mountains,
[STRIKE]hid[/STRIKE] was a quiet, [STRIKE]and[/STRIKE] crystal clear lake. [STRIKE]Inconspicuous[/STRIKE] Concealed it [STRIKE]may [/STRIKE]might be, yet a sip of water from it could[STRIKE] lightly[/STRIKE] erase one’s memory (memories?), sad or happy, completely. (You can't 'lightly' erase something completely.)That’s why it had always been guarded by a [STRIKE]gorgeous[/STRIKE] Goddess. ('beautiful' is more of a fairytale word than 'gorgeous'.) But oddly, or naturally, the fame of the Goddess’s beauty spread far more widely than that of the location of the magical lake itself, and numerous knights, princes, [STRIKE]or[/STRIKE] and even kings from all over the world wanted to find her and ask for her hand, even though they had heard that none of their predecessors had even seen her face during those trials, let alone win her heart. Nevertheless, the searching passion had never been dampened.

Until one day, when a young and persever[STRIKE]ant[/STRIKE]ing (determined ?) king finally reached the lake after (he went out of) finding his way through the serpent maze, surviv[STRIKE]ed from[/STRIKE]ing the lava swamp, [STRIKE]broke[/STRIKE]breaking the spell of the alluring witch, and slaughter[STRIKE]ed[/STRIKE]ing the fire dragon.

The Goddess eventually revealed herself to the young king. “I’m impressed by your fortitude, for no other man ha[STRIKE]d[/STRIKE]s ever achieved what you did” said she, in her dreamy singing voice. “But I’m afraid this [STRIKE]would[/STRIKE]will be the end of your journey.”

“Tell me, my beautiful Goddess, tell me how to win your heart!” the king asked fervidly (ardently? passionately?).

The Goddess slightly tilted her head, and smiled: “If you can drink up a bowl of water from the [STRIKE]l[/STRIKE]Lake of [STRIKE]o[/STRIKE]Oblivion and still remember me and your love for me, then I will certainly go with you.”

Surely the king knew the power of the magical lake, but there was nothing that could ever stop his determination, especially at this very moment. Without utter[STRIKE]ed[/STRIKE]ing a word, he knelt beside the lake and filled the bowl,[STRIKE] and[/STRIKE] Just before he could drink the water, however, he saw a Roman number engraved in a smooth black rock beside him: XI.

“What does this mean? The number of your suitors?” he asked, bewildered.

The Goddess said nothing, but he believed he saw a glimpse of sadness in her beautiful eyes.

There was nothing more to say. Once again he gazed at her charming face and smiled softly. He drank up the water and fell into a deep sound sleep. Of course, he wouldn’t remember a thing after he woke up. That[STRIKE]’s[/STRIKE] was the magic of the lake.

The Goddess pointed her finger to the rock [STRIKE]with[/STRIKE] and made a sign, and the number engraved in it changed to XII. Then she went towards the sleeping king and caressed his curled golden hair, left a soft kiss on his forehead, and whispered:

“Please! It’s a waste of your life[STRIKE],[/STRIKE]. I beseech you, don’t fall for me, again.”

DreamingAnn

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
5jj-

Thank you so much for your corrections!!!! A few questions here:

1. Inconspicuous[/STRIKE] Concealed it [STRIKE]may [/STRIKE]might be,

What I was trying to express here is not it's secret location, but the common appearance of that lake, that is, it looked exactly like every other lake, only it was not. In such case, which word can I convey this meaning better?

2. yet a sip of water from it could[STRIKE] lightly[/STRIKE] erase one’s memory (memories?), sad or happy, completely. (You can't 'lightly' erase something completely.)

one's memories? shouldn't it be singular?
If you can't erase someone's memory "lightly", then which word would be more proper? "easily"? or? Oh, I do want to put a adv here.

3. the fame of the Goddess’s beauty spread far more widely than that of the location of the magical lake itself...

Actually, I didn't mean the location of it but, the "popularity" of the lake itself. Then, is that Ok to just say "more widely than the magical lake itself"? Or there's some better expressions?

4. when a young and persever[STRIKE]ant[/STRIKE]ing (determined ?) king...

Is "perseverant" a wrong word, or just seems awkward here?

5. surviv[STRIKE]ed from[/STRIKE]ing the lava swamp...
Without utter[STRIKE]ed[/STRIKE]ing a word...

Here are my weak points!! I'm not very good at these "ing" stuff here, could you explain a little bit of grammar here for me? please!!

Thanks a lot!!!!

DreamingAnn

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
The corrections in red concern grammar/vocabulary.
The alterations in green are my suggestions for improvemment in style.

Hi 5jj,

Did you see my questions?! I'm patiently waiting for your answer... Please!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.