• Native Language:
      • Turkish
      • Home Country:
      • Turkey
      • Current Location:
      • Turkey

since

Hello dear,

I want to learn that whether we can use 'simple past' in the second sentence( not main sentence' with 'since' .

Since you left me, I haven't been able to find a boy friend. (That is ok)

But;

Since I came from school, I just went out once between 2:00 and 4:00 o'clock. (Now it is 7:00 pm)

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK

Re: since

Quote Originally Posted by aysaa View Post
    Hello dear,

I want to learn that whether or not we can use the simple past in the second sentence (not main sentence' with 'since').

Since you left me, I haven't been able to find a boy friend. (That is ok)

But;

Since I came from school, I just went out once between 2:00 and 4:00 o'clock. (Now it is 7:00 pm)
    Since I came home/back from school, I have only been out once, between 2pm and 4pm.

After I came home/back from school, I only went out once ...

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Australia
      • Current Location:
      • Australia

Hello dear,

I want to learn that whether we can use 'simple past' in the second sentence( not main sentence' with 'since' .

Since you left me, I haven't been able to find a boyfriend. (That is ok - It is now)

But;

Be aware that the following sentences mean different things. In 2. you might have been out many times, but only once between 2pm and 4pm.
    1. I have only been out once, between 2pm and 4pm.
    2. I have only been out once between 2pm and 4pm.

We would not normally use the simple past with your sentence, but "Since I came from school" is a badly-formed clause, since it's confusing about what range of times we might be talking about.
    I would also probably use "only" instead of "just", (as emsr2d2 gives) assuming that the simple past was warranted. "I only went out once between 2pm and 4pm."

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • Czech Republic

aysaa, I notice that you start your posts with this:
    Hello dear
    I know that you intend to be friendly, and I am sure nobody is upset by it, but you need to know that this is not a natural way to address people in English, unless you know them very well. This topic has been discussed here:[General] hello, dear(s) - UsingEnglish.com ESL Forum

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Turkish
      • Home Country:
      • Turkey
      • Current Location:
      • Turkey

-Since I came home/back from school, I only went out once between 2pm and 4pm. (Now it is 7pm)

I think it is ok ,and I want to say that I didn't know that we can use a specific time with the present perfect like:

-I have only been out once, between 2pm and 4pm . Don't we have to use the simple past tense instead of the present perfect? Could you please explain that to me?
    Last edited by aysaa; 03-Dec-2011 at 21:10.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • Czech Republic

-I have only been out once, between 2pm and 4pm . Don't we have to use the simple past tense instead of the present perfect? Could you please explain that to me?
    The idea behind that is: I have been out only once, (I went out) between 2pm and 4pm. We often run ideas together when we speak. However, in speech, there is a slight, but clear, pause after 'once', indicated by the comma in writing. That pause is important.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Turkish
      • Home Country:
      • Turkey
      • Current Location:
      • Turkey

But using the simple past tense in here is more open to the people who are not native like me. Thank you for answering.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Australia
      • Current Location:
      • Australia

But using the simple past tense in here is more open to the people who are not native like me. Thank you for answering.
    If you are going to ask questions, then disagree with the answers and say that bad English is more understandable to your friends, why bother posting?
    Three of us native speakers have told you that the simple past is (probably) inappropriate; and you answer with "But using the simple past tense in here is more open to the people who are not native like me."

You've also been told that "Since I came from school" is not clear. Do you mean "Since I came home from school today ...", or "Since I came home from school for the summer holidays"? ... The meaning of the second half will depend on the meaning of the first, and that is why it's important to know what you mean by "Since I came from school."

The fact that it's now 7pm has no relevance that I can see.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • China
      • Current Location:
      • China

You've also been told that "Since I came from school" is not clear.
    Do you mean "Since I came home from school today ...", or "Since I came home from school for the summer holidays"? ... The meaning of the second half will depend on the meaning of the first, and that is why it's important to know what you mean by "Since I came from school."