Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Polish
Home Country
Poland
Current Location
UK
People perform badly when speaking in public for couple of reasons. One of them is lack of self-confidence and insufficient preparation for the speech. The other is that speakers pay too much attention to the verbal aspect of their speaking, rather than focusing on non-verbal features of the speech they are giving, which vastly prevail in how they are perceived by the audience. In other words, impression that you make on people who listen to you, is what really matters.

kassem_mula

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Arabic
Home Country
Syria
Current Location
United Arab Emirates
to me it sounds good

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
Welcome to the forum, leszkoss. :hi:
People perform badly when speaking in public for couple of ('a couple'. Even with the correction, this sound rather informal. I'd use 'a number of') reasons. One of them is lack of self-confidence and insufficient preparation for the speech.(that's two reasons) The other is that speakers pay too much attention to the verbal aspect of their speaking, rather than focusing on non-verbal features of the speech they are giving, which vastly prevail (Sorry, but I am not sure what you mean by that) in how they are perceived by the audience. In other words, the impression that you make on people who listen to you, (no comma) is what really matters.

leszkoss

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Polish
Home Country
Poland
Current Location
UK
Thanks for correction. And I apologize for having forgotten to introduce myself ;;-)
I used to learn English in high school and now I 'm taking it up again. My goal is the CAE! Writing is my biggest concern.

Some of them is (are?) lack of self-confidence and insufficient preparation for the speech.

,and that mostly decides how they are perceived by the audience.
'vastly prevail' - it doesn't sound proper? Maybe I was trying too hard to sound sophisticated.

Status
Not open for further replies.