• Post Thanks / Like

otherwise

what does this "otherwise" mean in this sentence?

"An otherwise friendly and happy dog when kept continually chained and isolated often becomes neurotic, unhappy, anxious, and aggressive."

thanks in advance!!

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

• Post Thanks / Like

Re: otherwise

what does this "otherwise" mean in this sentence?
    "An otherwise friendly and happy dog when kept continually chained and isolated often becomes neurotic, unhappy, anxious, and aggressive."
    otherwise = without being continually chained and isolated

It might be clearer if I rewrite the sentence and then substitute.

A dog that is kept continually chained and isolated often becomes neurotic, unhappy, anxious, and aggressive; otherwise it is friendly and happy.

A dog that is kept continually chained and isolated often becomes neurotic, unhappy, anxious, and aggressive; without being continually chained and isolated it is friendly and happy.

• Post Thanks / Like

I agree. otherwise refers to situations other than being chained up and isolated. The dog is generally or usually friendly and happy, but chain it up and isolate it, and it becomes unfriendly and unhappy.

• Post Thanks / Like

hi, thanks to both of you for clarifying this! so I have a question.... you said it might be clearer if you re-write the sentence. does that mean the use of "otherwise" in the original sentence was wrong? or it was correct but it's just that it sounds more confusing or maybe it sounds more professional that way? please let me know.... thanks

• Post Thanks / Like

It's perfect the way it is. Rephrasing the sentence helps when you're trying to explain what "otherwise" means.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

• Post Thanks / Like

Both sentence types are correct and commonly used. But the one you gave is more condensed as a result of using 'otherwise' in this format. This though is the benefit of using 'otherwise' in this way. Removing the 'otherwise' to do the substitution illustration meant the sentence was no longer suited for that condensed form, so I had to re-expand it.
    Last edited by Fizi; 23-Oct-2005 at 10:52.