Results 1 to 5 of 5
  1. keannu's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Korean
      • Home Country:
      • South Korea
      • Current Location:
      • South Korea

    • Join Date: Dec 2010
    • Posts: 5,226
    #1

    He must be home vs He has to be home

    For a certainty, you say "He must be home" meaning "It is certain he is home",
    but for an obligation, do you say "He has to be home"? Which can mean "certainty" as well in American English. What is the safe way to tell the two?

    ex)He must be home vs He has to be home

  2. keannu's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Korean
      • Home Country:
      • South Korea
      • Current Location:
      • South Korea

    • Join Date: Dec 2010
    • Posts: 5,226
    #2

    Re: He must be home vs He has to be home

    Quote Originally Posted by keannu View Post
    For a certainty, you say "He must be home" meaning "It is certain he is home",
    but for an obligation, do you say "He has to be home"? Which can mean "certainty" as well in American English. What is the safe way to tell the two?

    ex)He must be home vs He has to be home
    ????

  3. 5jj's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • Czech Republic

    • Join Date: Oct 2010
    • Posts: 28,134
    #3

    Re: He must be home vs He has to be home

    Please don't bump your threads after only five hours, especially if you submit them at a time when many of us are in bed.

    With both 'must' and 'have to', only context will make the intended meaning of the word clear. Both 'He must be home' and 'he has to be home' can be used for logical certainty and obligation.

  4. keannu's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Korean
      • Home Country:
      • South Korea
      • Current Location:
      • South Korea

    • Join Date: Dec 2010
    • Posts: 5,226
    #4

    Re: He must be home vs He has to be home

    Quote Originally Posted by 5jj View Post
    Please don't bump your threads after only five hours, especially if you submit them at a time when many of us are in bed.

    With both 'must' and 'have to', only context will make the intended meaning of the word clear. Both 'He must be home' and 'he has to be home' can be used for logical certainty and obligation.
    You mean even for statual verbs such as "be, feel, have, smell, possess", it could be interpreted either as obligation and cetainty depending on the context. I've seen mostly certainty for such verbs, but I guess obligation can also make sense for them.

  5. 5jj's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • Czech Republic

    • Join Date: Oct 2010
    • Posts: 28,134
    #5

    Re: He must be home vs He has to be home

    Quote Originally Posted by keannu View Post
    You mean even for statual verbs such as "be, feel, have, smell, possess", it could be interpreted either as obligation and cetainty depending on the context. I've seen mostly certainty for such verbs, but I guess obligation can also make sense for them.
    Parent: You can go to the party, but you must be home by midnight.

    You've been working since before breakfast. You must be exhausted.

Similar Threads

  1. 'home' versus 'at home'
    By Filip in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 24-Jun-2009, 15:52
  2. old folks' home =nursing home?
    By thedaffodils in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 28-Oct-2008, 15:38
  3. Correct Usage home or at home?
    By A V Veerkar in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 23-May-2008, 12:38
  4. home is home be it ever so homely
    By mangosalat in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 26-Jan-2008, 11:07
  5. Home Sweet Home
    By piggy386 in forum English Idioms and Sayings
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 23-Oct-2004, 01:31

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •