Student or Learner
Native Language
Korean
Home Country
South Korea
Current Location
South Korea
For a certainty, you say "He must be home" meaning "It is certain he is home",
but for an obligation, do you say "He has to be home"? Which can mean "certainty" as well in American English. What is the safe way to tell the two?

ex)He must be home vs He has to be home

keannu

VIP Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Korean
Home Country
South Korea
Current Location
South Korea
For a certainty, you say "He must be home" meaning "It is certain he is home",
but for an obligation, do you say "He has to be home"? Which can mean "certainty" as well in American English. What is the safe way to tell the two?

ex)He must be home vs He has to be home

????

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
Please don't bump your threads after only five hours, especially if you submit them at a time when many of us are in bed.

With both 'must' and 'have to', only context will make the intended meaning of the word clear. Both 'He must be home' and 'he has to be home' can be used for logical certainty and obligation.

keannu

VIP Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Korean
Home Country
South Korea
Current Location
South Korea
Please don't bump your threads after only five hours, especially if you submit them at a time when many of us are in bed.

With both 'must' and 'have to', only context will make the intended meaning of the word clear. Both 'He must be home' and 'he has to be home' can be used for logical certainty and obligation.
You mean even for statual verbs such as "be, feel, have, smell, possess", it could be interpreted either as obligation and cetainty depending on the context. I've seen mostly certainty for such verbs, but I guess obligation can also make sense for them.

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
You mean even for statual verbs such as "be, feel, have, smell, possess", it could be interpreted either as obligation and cetainty depending on the context. I've seen mostly certainty for such verbs, but I guess obligation can also make sense for them.
Parent: You can go to the party, but you must be home by midnight.

You've been working since before breakfast. You must be exhausted.

Status
Not open for further replies.