Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Portuguese
Home Country
Brazil
Current Location
Brazil
What does "a stick or something" mean in the context below?

"Sometimes he leaves me you know a stick or something and I am here alone ..."

(this is a passage from a transcription of an oral conversation)

SoothingDave

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Is the speaker perhaps a dog? Dogs like to chew on sticks.

luaya

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Portuguese
Home Country
Brazil
Current Location
Brazil
No, she's a person complaining about her husband who leaves her alone frequently. I´d like to know if "a stick or something" might be some kind of idiomatic expression.

bhaisahab

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
Ireland
No, she's a person complaining about her husband who leaves her alone frequently. I´d like to know if "a stick or something" might be some kind of idiomatic expression.
No, it's not idiomatic. More context is needed to be able to understand it.

~Mav~

Member Type
Other
Native Language
Hungarian
Home Country
Europe
Current Location
Europe
What does "a stick or something" mean in the context below?

"Sometimes he leaves me you know a stick or something and I am here alone ..."

(this is a passage from a transcription of an oral conversation)

*** NOT A TEACHER ***

I assume "stick" here means "stick note" (=sticky note), so the whole sentence means that sometimes he leaves her a note or something like that (maybe an actual sticky note, or a text message, for example), and she ends up being alone.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
I have never heard of a "sticky note/sticky/Post-It note" being referred to as a "stick".

My guess is that the context of the rest of the passage might make it clear, but I think it actually literally means that for some reason the husband leaves the wife an actual stick, or something else, before leaving her alone. I cannot begin to imagine why!

bhaisahab

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
Ireland
I have never heard of a "sticky note/sticky/Post-It note" being referred to as a "stick".

My guess is that the context of the rest of the passage might make it clear, but I think it actually literally means that for some reason the husband leaves the wife an actual stick, or something else, before leaving her alone. I cannot begin to imagine why!
I can begin to imagine all sorts of things but most of them would probably be wide of the mark.

~Mav~

Member Type
Other
Native Language
Hungarian
Home Country
Europe
Current Location
Europe
Neither have I (not that it means anything...), but:
this is a passage from a transcription of an oral conversation)
, so it may have been misheard. (I can imagine referring to a sticky note as "sticky" amongst friends.)

...I think it actually literally means that for some reason the husband leaves the wife an actual stick, or something else, before leaving her alone. I cannot begin to imagine why!
I can, but I shan't be so naughty as to guess any further. :)

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
If the couple lived in an area prone to burglary, the husband might have given the wife a stick or something (similar) with which to beat off intruders.

@ Mav - behave!

~Mav~

Member Type
Other
Native Language
Hungarian
Home Country
Europe
Current Location
Europe
My question (according to my original suggestion) is that if we changed "stick" to "sticky" making the sentence read, "Sometimes he leaves me, you know, a sticky or something and I am here alone.", would my interpretation be plausible? There seem to be more than 6,000,000 results for "sticky or something", so I don't understand why you (apparently) discard the idea that the sentence was simply misheard. :roll: Leaving a sticky note saying, "Gone to Jane. Back in 5 days." (just for example) is more likely, IMHO, than leaving her a rod* (for whatever purpose) or something. :roll: I agree, though, that further context would probably render our guessing unnecessary.

If the couple lived in an area prone to burglary, the husband might have given the wife a stick or something (similar) with which to beat off intruders.
:up: That makes sense. (Aye, aye, Sir! :oops: )

PS:

* Here is another wild guess as to why he left her a stick, a broomstick. Maybe he meant this:

tumblr_lso19z8Hnp1r41u2ao1_500.png

:lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.