Interested in Language
Native Language
Bengali; Bangla
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
Pls tell me whether this sentence is correct:

"In 1852, Indian mathematician Radhanath Sikdar, under the leadership of British Surveyor General of india, Sir Andrew Waugh proved that Mt. Everest was the highest peak of the world."

My question is whether the part of the sentence written in red is appropriate or not. It is an universal truth that Mt. Everest is the highest peak of the world. Hence I believe we should use present tense instead of past tense. But as the reporting verb is in past tense, reported speech may be in past tense also.

Pls shed some light.

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
Pls tell me whether this sentence is correct:

"In 1852, Indian mathematician Radhanath Sikdar, under the leadership of British Surveyor General of [STRIKE]i[/STRIKE] India, Sir Andrew Waugh proved that Mt. Everest was the highest peak of (I prefer 'in)the world."

My question is whether the part of the sentence written in red is appropriate or not. It is a[STRIKE]n[/STRIKE] universal truth that Mt. Everest is the highest peak of the world. Hence I believe we should use present tense instead of past tense. But as the reporting verb is in past tense, reported speech may be in past tense also.
Both tenses are possible. As the reporting verb is in the past tense. backshifting is acceptable. As Mt Everest is still the highest mountain in the worls, backshifting is not obligatory

write2subhayu

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Bengali; Bangla
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
Both tenses are possible. As the reporting verb is in the past tense. backshifting is acceptable. As Mt Everest is still the highest mountain in the worls, backshifting is not obligatory

Well, in that case, is the following sentence grammatically correct?

"I said that the Sun rose in the east."

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
It's possible.