Member Type
Academic
Native Language
Arabic
Home Country
Libya
Current Location
Libya
I was wondering about this expression, "like hell".

Is it acceptable to be used in a casual lady to lady conversation? I feel like it's graceless, still I hear it too frequently!

bhaisahab

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
Ireland

Is it acceptable to be used in a casual lady to lady conversation? I feel like it's graceless, still I hear it too frequently!
This is a cultural question more than a language question. The answer is, it's acceptable in some cultures, but not in others.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
In BrE, I don't think you will find many people that think you should speak in one way to a man, but in a more delicate way to a woman. Some conversation topics might not be entirely appropriate for one gender or another, but that's more to do with their interest in the topic, not the actual words used.

Barb_D

Staff member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
There are very few people who find "hell" a very offensive word these days. However, if you're around someone who does, male or female, then do your best to avoid it.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
There are very few people who find "hell" a very offensive word these days. However, if you're around someone who does, male or female, then do your best to avoid it.

I agree that if you already know that someone finds any word offensive, then it's only polite to avoid it, but I wouldn't avoid any particular word (apart from out and out swearing) with people whose feelings are unknown to me.

TheParser

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States

NOT A TEACHER

(1) I most respectfully suggest that you not use this word.

(2) I suggest that you keep this word in your vocabulary so that you can use it

only in very special circumstances. If you use this word all the time, people

will soon not pay attention to that word. But if you usually do not use it and then

one day you do use it, people will be shocked. You will really get their attention.

Last edited:

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
(3) I suggest that you do use especially courteous language to the ladies. Some ladies say that they want to be treated like men, but in my opinion they really do not. For example, they still expect men to open the door for them. And when a man doesn't, most of them (in my opinion) feel hurt. Men should be gentlemen -- in their speech and in their conduct when dealing with men and women. You should be especially careful in your speech with the ladies, for they might misinterpret what you are saying. Here in the States, many men are afraid to congratulate a woman on her appearance that day, for she might think he is trying to be romantic toward her.
I am afraid that many of the American and British females I know would feel offended and patronised by that attitude, particularly the words I have coloured blue. Most people I know (male and female) expect to be believed, not 'interpreted'.

TheParser

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I am afraid that many of the American and British females I know would feel offended and patronised by that attitude, particularly the words I have coloured blue. Most people I know (male and female) expect to be believed, not 'interpreted'.

I believe in what I said, but I realize that this is strictly a language forum. So I have

edited my post to stay solely on the topic of "hell."

symaa

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Arabic
Home Country
Morocco
Current Location
Morocco
This is a cultural question more than a language question. The answer is, it's acceptable in some cultures, but not in others.

Some ladies say that they want to be treated like men, but in my opinion they really do not.

Actually, it differs from one culture to another. Once my teacher who was student in America, was sitting at the bus, he saw a women ''elderly'' standing up, to his mind he thought that it is politely to let his seat to that women. So, he told her that she could have his seat, but unfortunately she misinterpreted him and got angry.

In Eastern culture, it is considered as a polite gesture and a good manner,a way of showing respect... (giving up your seat to a girl or a women, letting her go first through the door etc, giving her the priority in various social situations) And this expression "Ladies first" "les femmes d'abord" is heard many times.
But it remains a matter of culture.

Sorry if this a bit out of topic.

TheParser

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Once my teacher who was student in America, was sitting at the bus, he saw a women ''elderly'' standing up, to his mind he thought that it is politely to let his seat to that women. So, he told her that she could have his seat, but unfortunately she misinterpreted him and got angry.

NOT A TEACHER

(1) How strange! I do not have a car, so I either walk or take the bus.

(2) From my experience, female senior citizens very much appreciate such gestures on the part of men.

(3) In fact, some expect it. I once saw a female senior citizen walk up to two men who were in their twenties and tell them with her hand gesture to vacate their seats for her. They complied without saying anything.

(4) Of course, I shall not name it, but I read that in a certain country famous for
supposedly having respect for older people (such as I), many of the youth there no longer honor that tradition. The government, I hear, is trying to teach the youth better manners.

symaa

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Arabic
Home Country
Morocco
Current Location
Morocco
1) How strange! I do not have a car, so I either walk or take the bus.
Why it is strange? excuse me if I am being a curious.

(2) From my experience, female senior citizens very much appreciate such gestures on the part of men.

(3) In fact, some expect it. I once saw a female senior citizen walk up to two men who were in their twenties and tell them with her hand gesture to vacate their seats for her. They complied without saying anything.

(4) Of course, I shall not name it, but I read that in a certain country famous for
supposedly having respect for older people (such as I), many of the youth there no longer honor that tradition. The government, I hear, is trying to teach the youth better manners.

Thank you for your comments, and sorry for the mispelling mistake: ''woman'' and not ''women''; by the way I always be happy when someone point out my mistakes.

In my experiences, as I always take the bus, there is always a young man/woman gives up her/his seat to an elderly woman or man as well, and these latter deeply appreciate that
Even if we fell sometimes tired or overworked, we believe that it's a moral obligation to offer your seat to an elderly woman / man, a pregnant…

Thank you.
Have a nice day,

TheParser

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Thank you for your kind note. (1) When I said "How strange!" I was referring to the fact that the woman seemed offended by your teacher's courteous gesture. (2) Those of us (such as you and I) who were taught by our parents to be courteous to others would, OF COURSE, give up our seats to those who need those seats more than we do. Sadly, in every country, many people (young AND old) think only about themselves. For example, if there are two empty seats on a bus, many people will simply sit down in the aisle seat. They do not sit in the window seat, thus allowing another fellow human being who comes along later to sit in the aisle seat. Why are they so thoughtless? Because they simply could not care less about others. It's ME, ME, ME. (In good English: It's I, I, I.) I got a seat, they feel, so that is all that matters.

JohnParis

Member Type
Retired Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
France
Sadly, in every country, many people (young AND old) think only about themselves.

Parser - as I have said before - one of the reasons I enjoy coming to this site is to read your comments and observations. It appears that you are not having a good day today. You can't possibly mean what you wrote above? I recently went through a period when I could still go out of the house and I would take the bus whenever needed, but always with a cane to steady my movements. Mind you now, I live in Paris (not a city know for it's politeness). Imagine my shock when I would climb aboard a packed bus and almost immediately someone would offer me their seat!
It's not everywhere nor everyone and I am not saying you are not correct in your observations. But to bring this back around full circle, I say: TO HELL WITH THOSE who can't show a little respect !

TheParser

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Thank you for your note. Glad to hear that people in Paris are more courteous than their reputation. I do not understand your comment about my not believing that many (not all) people -- the old as well as the young -- think only about themselves. I not only believe it but I know it -- as does everyone else.

I shan't go on, for we will be courting deletion by the powers that be.

Ouisch

Key Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States

"Hell" has become a very mild expletive over the years, but it is still an expletive nevertheless. I'm something of an odd duck, according to many of my friends, because even at my advanced age I still never use curse words - even the very mild ones like "hell" and "damn". I don't know why, exactly....that's just me. Anyway, because of this I've learned some things over the years when it comes to females and curse words. Even though it's sexist, in many business and formal situations, most men still frown upon women using curse words. They either think she's trying to be "one of the guys" or else she's coarse and unprofessional.

But casual woman to woman conversation? It depends. Ninety-eight percent of the time another woman wouldn't even notice if you said "like hell" during your conversation. Unless you are speaking to an elderly female relative, or a particularly religious woman, mild curse words will not faze another female in the least during a conversation. :)

symaa

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Arabic
Home Country
Morocco
Current Location
Morocco
Thank you for your kind note. (1) When I said "How strange!" I was referring to the fact that the woman seemed offended by your teacher's courteous gesture. (2) Those of us (such as you and I) who were taught by our parents to be courteous to others would, OF COURSE, give up our seats to those who need those seats more than we do. Sadly, in every country, many people (young AND old) think only about themselves. For example, if there are two empty seats on a bus, many people will simply sit down in the aisle seat. They do not sit in the window seat, thus allowing another fellow human being who comes along later to sit in the aisle seat. Why are they so thoughtless? Because they simply could not care less about others. It's ME, ME, ME. (In good English: It's I, I, I.) I got a seat, they feel, so that is all that matters.
Thank you so much for the clarification.That's true, wherever you go, you will find the polite and the impolite person and so forth...But this life is full of all kind of people.

Thank you again.

Have a nice day,

Status
Not open for further replies.