Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
Hi.What's the ifference between saying "he holds an advantage" and "he has an advantage"?

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
Your lack of patience is simply going to put people off responding to your questions.. Please wait more than 45 minutes before boosting your post. When you first posted your question, most Europeans and Americans were in bed.

hooshdar3

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
Your lack of patience is simply going to put people off responding to your questions.. Please wait more than 45 minutes before boosting your post. When you first posted your question, most Europeans and Americans were in bed.
Oh.Ok.

I didn't know that.

rainous

Member Type
Other
Native Language
Galician
Home Country
Armenia
Current Location
Antilles
Not a teacher

If you did a little more thinking on your part, you might have ended up asking the difference between
"to hold" and "to have", the answer to which I defer back to you.

Last edited:

hooshdar3

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
Not a teacher

If you did a little more thinking on your part, you might end up asking the difference between
"to hold" and "to have", the answer to which I defer back to you.

I wanted to provide context lest you need it.Don't you think if I knew the answer, I wouldn't post here?

rainous

Member Type
Other
Native Language
Galician
Home Country
Armenia
Current Location
Antilles
I wanted to provide context lest you need it.Don't you think if I knew the answer, I wouldn't post here?

Hey, I was just trying to help.

Why don't we chill and wait for better answers from our English experts then.

JohnParis

Member Type
Retired Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
France
Are you talking about a game of poker, a chess game, pole vaulting or what?

I suspect you are talking about chess, but your lack of providing context for your questions is something I have asked you to work on as we are not yet mind readers.

billmcd

Key Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Hi.What's the ifference between saying "he holds an advantage" and "he has an advantage"?

No difference, and consider yourself in the UsingEnglish "dog house". :shock:

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
No difference, and consider yourself in the UsingEnglish "dog house". :shock:
be in the doghouse - Idioms - by the Free Dictionary, Thesaurus and Encyclopedia.

I don't know that I'd go quite that far, but the patience of some members is wearing a little thin, hooshdar. In the nineteen days since you joined us, more than 140 posts of yours have received responses - and yet you started today by boosting a post with "No one?:cry:" after only 45 minutes. I pointed out the reaction this might cause among some members - and you boosted the post again! OK, you waited nearly four hours this time, but that's not long when just a few people are trying to deal with a lot of questions in their spare time - and some of them are like me - I tend to deal first with people who haven't impatiently boosted their posts.

hooshdar3

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
Are you talking about a game of poker, a chess game, pole vaulting or what?

I suspect you are talking about chess, but your lack of providing context for your questions is something I have asked you to work on as we are not yet mind readers.
Yes.Your suspicion is correct.

JohnParis

Member Type
Retired Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
France
Originally Posted by hooshdar3
Hi.What's the difference between saying "he holds an advantage" and "he has an advantage"?

Billmcd is correct when he says that there is no difference between "he holds an advantage" and "he has an advantage."
Most native speakers would not make the extremely fine distinction between to "hold" and to "have", as Rainous suggested earlier in the day. It's just to bothersome.

Nevertheless, if any distinction were to be made, one could argue that in a match where the winner must win by a majority of games played (chess, for example?), a fine difference might exist. I'm not the national coach that you are, and I do not know how chess tournaments are scored. So, I'll use other examples to make my point.
A tennis player is required, in a tournament, to win by a certain number of sets. If it begins to rain and the match is postponed, the player that is ahead holds an advantage over his opponent, until play is resumed. Entire teams often hold the advantage if they are required to play the match over several days (baseball, cricket and others). If, however, the match is a "one-time, winner takes all" affair (e.g. Formula 1 races), it's often the most skilled driver with the fastest vehicle that has an advantage.

That tiny difference is all that I can think of. In terms of practicality and everyday use, Billmcd is correct.

John

Rover_KE

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
Hooshdar, I hope you appreciate the trouble John has gone to in order to provide you with a context in which there might be a fine distinction here.

Most of us expect the poster to provide the context.

Rover

Status
Not open for further replies.