• Native Language:
      • Persian
      • Home Country:
      • Iran
      • Current Location:
      • Iran

• Post Thanks / Like

A kinda complex?

When I was younger, I was toatally poor and my father was stingy with his fortune. I really liked to have new clothes but I couldn't afford. Now I'm quite better off and I just spend my money on clothes ...
    What do you call this? I know it's a kind of complex, but what exactly?

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Persian
      • Home Country:
      • Iran
      • Current Location:
      • Iran

• Post Thanks / Like

Re: A kinda complex?

Thanks for your nice answer, Gillnetter.
    It was just an example and by chance it came to be about buying clothes. Actually, I'm looking for a general term applicable to other situations as well, like:
    When I was a child, my parents never bought any toys for me. Now I'm a parent and I avoid buying toys for my child.
    Because I couldn't have what I liked, my child can't have his / her favorites. either. I think you must have seen such cases around you, or at least heard about them.
    It must be a kind of illness. Is there any general term?
    Many thanks.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Australia
      • Current Location:
      • Australia

• Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by English Freak View Post
    Thanks for your nice answer, Gillnetter.
    It was just an example and by chance it came to be about buying clothes. Actually, I'm looking for a general term applicable to other situations as well, like:
    When I was a child, my parents never bought any toys for me. Now I'm a parent and I avoid buying toys for my child.
    To be consistent with your first case, the parent shoud be buying too many toys for his child.

Because I couldn't have what I liked, my child can't have his / her favorites. either. I think you must have seen such cases around you, or at least heard about them.
    It must be a kind of illness. Is there any general term?
    Many thanks.
    Your two examples are the opposite of each other. In the first, the child does the opposite of what his parents did; in the second, he does the same - so it's unlikely you'll find a term to cover both. I don't understand why you think "it must be a kind of illness". Many of us do either the same or the reverse of what are parents did without being ill.
    In the first case, the situation could be called overcompensation. In the second case, it might be called resentment. But you'd have to use those terms within a proper context for them to be understood.

In any case, you seem to be looking for a psychological diagnosis, not an English term. And it would be helpful if all your examples pointed in the same direction.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Persian
      • Home Country:
      • Iran
      • Current Location:
      • Iran

• Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Raymott View Post
    Your two examples are the opposite of each other. In the first, the child does the opposite of what his parents did; in the second, he does the same - so it's unlikely you'll find a term to cover both. I don't understand why you think "it must be a kind of illness". Many of us do either the same or the reverse of what are parents did without being ill.
    In the first case, the situation could be called overcompensation. In the second case, it might be called resentment. But you'd have to use those terms within a proper context for them to be understood.

In any case, you seem to be looking for a psychological diagnosis, not an English term. And it would be helpful if all your examples pointed in the same direction.
    You're right the examples are the opposite of each other. Intentionally I wanted to provide another different example in the hope that I could find one general term. Since in Farsi we use one single word (scientifically right or wrong) to describe such people, I thought I would be able to find something in English. But it seems my attempt is futile.
    By the way, many thanks for "overcompensation" and "resentment".