Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Switzerland
"Our client handed over a copy of your reply of June 1, 2011, and a copy of the contract including Annexes 1 and 2."

The annexes are part of the contract.

Sometimes, whether one puts a comma before "including" or not can affect the meaning of the sentence. In the above sentence, though, I can't make out a difference in meaning; in other words, I don't think it matters whether there's a comma or not, even though I'd prefer to use one.

What do you think?

Thanks!

Allen165

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Switzerland
Now that I've thought about it a bit more, I think that not putting a comma after "contract" might imply the annexes are not part of the contract. But I'm really not sure.

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
Now that I've thought about it a bit more, I think that not putting a comma after "contract" might imply the annexes are not part of the contract. But I'm really not sure.
Use a comma. Otherwise you could mean that the client gave you a copy of "the contract including Annexes 1 and 2." rather than a copy of another contract.
That is, "Which contract did they send?" - "The contract including Annexes 1 and 2"

"Including" doesn't and can't mean "and" or "as well as", so the comma doesn't make a difference in that respect. If the annexes are not part of the contract, you cannot say, "They sent a copy of the contract including annexes 1 and 2", irrespective of whether you include a comma.

Status
Not open for further replies.