Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Korean
Home Country
South Korea
Current Location
South Korea
What is "frequently at the joints."? root joints that divide the root?

ex)The evergreen swamp cranberry, a kind of wild cranberry, has extremely slim stemps, up to some 18 inches long, that creep through the moss and root frequently at the joints. The small, thick, leathery green leves tend to grow alternately....

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
What is "frequently at the joints."? root joints that divide the root?

ex)The evergreen swamp cranberry, a kind of wild cranberry, has extremely slim stemps, up to some 18 inches long, that creep through the moss and root frequently at the joints. The small, thick, leathery green leves tend to grow alternately....
It would seem to mean that along the stems which creep through the moss, there are joints . At these joints, the plant sends out roots, which anchor the plant, and provide extra nutrition. This is common in creepers. The reason they can keep creeping is that they produce additional root systems as they go along. "Root" in your sentence is a verb meaning to produce roots.

keannu

VIP Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Korean
Home Country
South Korea
Current Location
South Korea
It would seem to mean that along the stems which creep through the moss, there are joints . At these joints, the plant sends out roots, which anchor the plant, and provide extra nutrition. This is common in creepers. The reason they can keep creeping is that they produce additional root systems as they go along. "Root" in your sentence is a verb meaning to produce roots.
Awesome!!!!! :up::up::up: Without your explanation, I would explain a sloppy thing to my students. You saved my reputation.

Status
Not open for further replies.