Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Hong Kong
Current Location
Hong Kong
What does the quotation "Sans teeth, sans eyes, sans taste, sans everything" from As You Like It (Shakwspeare) mean?:)

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
What does the quotation "Sans teeth, sans eyes, sans taste, sans everything" from As You Like It (Shakwspeare) mean?:)

"Sans" is the French word for "without". I don't know why Shakespeare decided to use it, but if you enter the phrase "Sans teeth, sans eyes, sans taste, sans everything" into your favourite search engine, you'll receive many explanations of this phrase.

However, knowing the meaning of "sans", you can probably work out the overall meaning yourself.

gisellee

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Hong Kong
Current Location
Hong Kong
"Sans" is the French word for "without". I don't know why Shakespeare decided to use it, but if you enter the phrase "Sans teeth, sans eyes, sans taste, sans everything" into your favourite search engine, you'll receive many explanations of this phrase.

However, knowing the meaning of "sans", you can probably work out the overall meaning yourself.

Even if I know that the sentence means 'without teeth, without eyes,without taste, and without everything' , I can't get the meaning of it.
I wanna know what Shakespeare wants to say.:?:

waflob

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Germany
Even if I know that the sentence means 'without teeth, without eyes,without taste, and without everything' , I can't get the meaning of it.
I wanna know what Shakespeare wants to say.:?:
I'm getting weird flashbacks to that nightmare we called "English Literature" at school - obviously didn't suppress that enough ...

I'm not 100% sure, but it either refers to old-age, or possibly death. Something about the various stages we go through in life and that's the last one.

Status
Not open for further replies.