[Grammar] Sentence structure (Position of "made")

Status
Not open for further replies.

Snappy

Member Type
Other
Native Language
Japanese
Home Country
Japan
Current Location
Japan
I found this on the Japanese Foreign Ministry's site.
"Governor Nakaima said that his mouth would be tainted if he made any comment with regard to the remarks by Mr. Tanaka, former Director-General of the Okinawa Defense Bureau made. The people of Okinawa are showing a strong emotion against the remarks. I think that it is a common sense that the Futenma issue will now face a very difficult situation in the future."

I read the original Japanese version and literally translated it as follows:
"Governor Nakaima is saying that his mouth would become tainted if he made a comment with regard to the remarks that ex-Director-General Tanaka of the Okinawa Defense Bureau made. The people of Okinawa are strongly opposed to the remarks. From a commonsense standpoint, it seems that the Futenma issue will face a very difficult situation in the future."

My question is the position of "made" used on the site.
"the remarks by Mr. Tanaka, former Director-General of the Okinawa Defense Bureau made."
Is this expression common?
In my understanding, "Have you seen the machine by Mr. so and so made?" does not have a good sentence structure.

Please also tell me if my literal translation makes sense.

billmcd

Key Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I found this on the Japanese Foreign Ministry's site.
"Governor Nakaima said that his mouth would be tainted if he made any comment with regard to the remarks by Mr. Tanaka, former Director-General of the Okinawa Defense Bureau made. The people of Okinawa are showing a strong emotion against the remarks. I think that it is a common sense that the Futenma issue will now face a very difficult situation in the future."

I read the original Japanese version and literally translated it as follows:
"Governor Nakaima is saying that his mouth would become tainted if he made a comment with regard to the remarks that ex-Director-General Tanaka of the Okinawa Defense Bureau made. The people of Okinawa are strongly opposed to the remarks. From a commonsense standpoint, it seems that the Futenma issue will face a very difficult situation in the future."

My question is the position of "made" used on the site.
"the remarks by Mr. Tanaka, former Director-General of the Okinawa Defense Bureau made."
Is this expression common?
In my understanding, "Have you seen the machine by Mr. so and so made?" does not have a good sentence structure.

Please also tell me if my literal translation makes sense.

See revision below:

"Governor Nakaima said that his mouth would be tainted if he made any comment with regard to the remarks made by Mr. Tanaka, former Director-General of the Okinawa Defense Bureau [STRIKE]made[/STRIKE]. The people of Okinawa are showing a strong emotion against the remarks. I think that it is a common sense that the Futenma issue will now face a very difficult situation in the future."

With regard to both paragraphs, the term "mouth would be tainted" would not be used/heard in English. A better term/expression might be "his words would be considered critical"

Status
Not open for further replies.