Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Polish
Home Country
Poland
Current Location
Poland
I have a text which i have to read and answer questions. The text is Pawley and Syder ( uni-mainz.de/FB/Philologie-II/fb1414/lampert/download/so2008/PawleySyder.pdf ), 1983 "Two puzzles for linguistic theory: nativelike selection and nativelike fluency". I did read the text yet I find those questions to be very difficult to answer and that is why I write here, asking for help. Please, I'm desperate.
Questions:

1.What does it mean that the ‘sentence stems’ are lexicalised and institutionalised?

Answer: If the sentence stem is lexicalised it means that its length is that of a clause and its grammatical form and lexical content is mostly fixed

2.There are two basic meanings of the adjective ‘idiomatic’. What are they?

Yes... Sometimes the article may not be enough. If so, ask uncle Google. In this case the concept of “idioms of encoding” and “idioms of decoding” might put you on the right track.

Answer:

3.Do P&S deny the usefulness of the generative model?

Answer:

4.What is the psycholinguistic (and sociolinguistic) rationale for a redundant storage system such as proposed by P&S? Compare it with Wray’s (2002) model discussed in Chapter 5 of the book.

Answer:

5.Explain the ‘one clause at a time’ constraint.

Answer:

6.Explain the difference between the ‘clause-chaining style’ and the ‘integrative style’ in spontaneous speech. Which of the two will you use you’re asked to share your answers to this question with the rest of the group?

Answer:

7.Why is it that speakers are “at their most hesitant when describing the unfamiliar”?

Answer:

8.P&S say that “the conversationalist has many matters to attend to besides the syntactic form and lexical content of his discourse” (p.208). What are these other matters? Why is this observation relevant to our discussion?

Answer:

9.What is the difference between a memorised sequence and a lexicalised sequence?

Answer:

10.Is it reasonable to suggest that each dictionary entry for a complex lexical item will need to take the form of a ‘mini-grammar’?

Answer:

11.What are the main theoretical implications of P&S’s claims?

Answer:

bhaisahab

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
Ireland
I have a text which i have to read and answer questions. The text is Pawley and Syder ( uni-mainz.de/FB/Philologie-II/fb1414/lampert/download/so2008/PawleySyder.pdf ), 1983 "Two puzzles for linguistic theory: nativelike selection and nativelike fluency". I did read the text yet I find those questions to be very difficult to answer and that is why I write here, asking for help. Please, I'm desperate.
Questions:

1.What does it mean that the ‘sentence stems’ are lexicalised and institutionalised?

Answer: If the sentence stem is lexicalised it means that its length is that of a clause and its grammatical form and lexical content is mostly fixed

2.There are two basic meanings of the adjective ‘idiomatic’. What are they?

Yes... Sometimes the article may not be enough. If so, ask uncle Google. In this case the concept of “idioms of encoding” and “idioms of decoding” might put you on the right track.

Answer:

3.Do P&S deny the usefulness of the generative model?

Answer:

4.What is the psycholinguistic (and sociolinguistic) rationale for a redundant storage system such as proposed by P&S? Compare it with Wray’s (2002) model discussed in Chapter 5 of the book.

Answer:

5.Explain the ‘one clause at a time’ constraint.

Answer:

6.Explain the difference between the ‘clause-chaining style’ and the ‘integrative style’ in spontaneous speech. Which of the two will you use you’re asked to share your answers to this question with the rest of the group?

Answer:

7.Why is it that speakers are “at their most hesitant when describing the unfamiliar”?

Answer:

8.P&S say that “the conversationalist has many matters to attend to besides the syntactic form and lexical content of his discourse” (p.208). What are these other matters? Why is this observation relevant to our discussion?

Answer:

9.What is the difference between a memorised sequence and a lexicalised sequence?

Answer:

10.Is it reasonable to suggest that each dictionary entry for a complex lexical item will need to take the form of a ‘mini-grammar’?

Answer:

11.What are the main theoretical implications of P&S’s claims?

Answer:
We are not here to do your work for you.

yohil18

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Polish
Home Country
Poland
Current Location
Poland
I know, I asked for help not for someone to do it for me. I'm already six questions in but I'm still having trouble

Status
Not open for further replies.