Results 1 to 8 of 8
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Hong Kong
      • Current Location:
      • Hong Kong

    • Join Date: Jun 2008
    • Posts: 2,332
    #1

    Are sentences written stylishly advisable?

    Where I live, children are encouraged to write in a style not coming used.

    The following are three such sentences:

    Dark depressing clouds loomed in the horizon.
    A thunderstorm was approaching.

    The sun rose majestically, painting the sky orange and crimson.

    Do native speakers encourage their children to write such a flowery style which, to me, is affected?

    I would be glad to hear from you.

    Thanks.
    Last edited by Tan Elaine; 11-Dec-2011 at 07:14. Reason: typo

    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

    • Join Date: Apr 2009
    • Posts: 12,307
    #2

    Re: Are sentences written stylishly advisable?

    A style "not coming used" doesn't make any sense.

    All of those examples are good English. It's good to encourage children to use expressive, descriptive language.

    ( A comma belongs between "dark" and "depressing." That is the only comment I would make.)

    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Hong Kong
      • Current Location:
      • Hong Kong

    • Join Date: Jun 2008
    • Posts: 2,332
    #3

    Re: Are sentences written stylishly advisable?

    Quote Originally Posted by SoothingDave View Post
    A style "not coming used" doesn't make any sense.

    All of those examples are good English. It's good to encourage children to use expressive, descriptive language.

    ( A comma belongs between "dark" and "depressing." That is the only comment I would make.)
    Thanks, SoothingDave

    The common style in relation to the sentences I posted would be:

    There were dark clouds in the sky. A storm is imminent. (Dark, depressing clouds loomed in the horizon. A thunderstorm was approaching.)

    It was a wonderful sunny day. (The sun rose majestically, painting the sky orange and crimson.)..

    Do the sentences, which are not in bold, pale in comparison with the bracketed sentences. I was taught to use the sentences in bold. Am I behind time?

    Thanks.
    Last edited by Tan Elaine; 10-Dec-2011 at 05:32.

  1. Raymott's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Australia
      • Current Location:
      • Australia

    • Join Date: Jun 2008
    • Posts: 24,091
    #4

    Re: Are sentences written stylishly advisable?

    Quote Originally Posted by Tan Elaine View Post
    Thanks, SoothingDave

    The common style in relation to the sentences I posted would be:

    There were dark clouds in the sky. A storm is imminent. (Dark, depressing clouds loomed in the horizon. A thunderstorm was approaching.)

    It was a wonderful sunny day. (The sun rose majestically, painting the sky orange and crimson.)..

    Do the sentences, which are not in bold, pale in comparison with the bracketed sentences. I was taught to use the sentences in bold. Am I behind time?

    Thanks.
    I think you meant to say "Not commonly used" rather than "not coming used". But you didn't correct yourself or explain to Dave. This is strange, because one would normally take such an opportunity to re-read one's post and clarify if necessary, rather than ignoring what is an obvious impediment to the discourse.

    In any case, as Dave said, children are encouraged to experiment with individual expressions, and not all experiments are successful. Such writing does tend to broaden a child's point of view and ability to think individually, and this is seen as a good thing in the West.

    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • England

    • Join Date: Jun 2010
    • Posts: 24,477
    #5

    Re: Are sentences written stylishly advisable?

    'Dark, depressing clouds loomed on the horizon.'

    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

    • Join Date: Apr 2009
    • Posts: 12,307
    #6

    Re: Are sentences not commonly used advisable?

    Do the sentences, which are not in bold, pale in comparison with the bracketed sentences. I was taught to use the sentences in bold. Am I behind time?
    It all depends on the intention of the writing and the audience. If you want to warn me to take shelter it is better to say that a storm is coming. If you are trying for more lively or poetic expression, then you can speak of looming clouds on the horizon.

    One is not always better than the other.

    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Hong Kong
      • Current Location:
      • Hong Kong

    • Join Date: Jun 2008
    • Posts: 2,332
    #7

    Re: Are sentences written stylishly advisable?

    Quote Originally Posted by Raymott View Post
    I think you meant to say "Not commonly used" rather than "not coming used". But you didn't correct yourself or explain to Dave. This is strange, because one would normally take such an opportunity to re-read one's post and clarify if necessary, rather than ignoring what is an obvious impediment to the discourse.

    .
    My apologies, Raymott. You are correct. I meant 'not commonly used'. It is strange that I did not spot my usage of the wrong word, even after Dave pointed out the error.

    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Hong Kong
      • Current Location:
      • Hong Kong

    • Join Date: Jun 2008
    • Posts: 2,332
    #8

    Re: Are sentences written stylishly advisable?

    Quote Originally Posted by Rover_KE View Post
    'Dark, depressing clouds loomed on the horizon.'
    Thanks, Rover, for pointing out the error. The original sentence has 'in the horizon'.

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 2
    Last Post: 08-Nov-2011, 10:36
  2. Replies: 5
    Last Post: 15-Apr-2009, 14:26
  3. are these sentences written correctly?
    By KLPNO in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 01-Feb-2008, 20:37
  4. Are these sentences written correctly?
    By Unregistered in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 28-Jun-2007, 15:53
  5. the thing it was advisable
    By navi tasan in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 06-Mar-2003, 18:48

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •