Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Korean
Home Country
South Korea
Current Location
South Korea
What does "comforts" mean? I think "an experienced traveler" means the pretty young woman herself, right?
Hearts and Hands
by O. Henry
At Denver there was an influx of passengers into the coaches on the eastbound B. & M. express. In one coach there sat a very pretty young woman dressed in elegant taste and surrounded by all the luxurious comforts of an experienced traveler. Among the newcomers were two young men, one of handsome presence with a bold, frank countenance and manner; the other a ruffled, glum-faced person, heavily built and roughly dressed. The two were handcuffed together

zagolina

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Arabic
Home Country
Egypt
Current Location
Egypt
Hi Keannu,
First we will take "
luxurious comforts" as separate, luxurious is an adjective for the noun comforts (it modifies it) and comforts means: a thing that makes your life easier or more comfortable.
Then, these
"luxurious comforts" are related to "an experienced traveler", and what I get from your context that the experienced traveler is any one; not a particular traveler (a general meaning).
I hope you have got the idea.

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
It doesn't necessarily mean that she is an experienced traveller, though she may well be, but she is surrounded by the kind of things that experienced travellers take with them.

Status
Not open for further replies.