Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
Dear teachers,

For my sons there is of course the rural bounty of fresh-grown vegetables, line-caught fish and the shared riches of neighbours’ orchards and gardens. There is the unpaid baby-sitter for whose children my daughter-in-law baby-sits in return, and neighbours who barter their skills and labour. But more than that, how do you measure serenity? Sense if self?

Could please kindly explain the meaning of "sense if self"? Should it be "sense of self"?

Looking forward to hearing from you.
Thank you in advance.

Jiang

bhaisahab

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
Ireland
Dear teachers,

For my sons there is of course the rural bounty of fresh-grown vegetables, line-caught fish and the shared riches of neighbours’ orchards and gardens. There is the unpaid baby-sitter for whose children my daughter-in-law baby-sits in return, and neighbours who barter their skills and labour. But more than that, how do you measure serenity? Sense if self?

Could please kindly explain the meaning of "sense if self"? Should it be "sense of self"?

Looking forward to hearing from you.
Thank you in advance.

Jiang
It looks like it should be "of".

BobK

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
It looks like it should be "of".
Yes - looks very likely, especially as the i and o keys are next to eac other. I'm always getting 'is' and 'if' confused - with less excuse. Perhaps more relevant is another of my commoner typoes: 'thay' instead of 'that'.

b

bhaisahab

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
Ireland
I have problems with "thay" for "that" too.

Status
Not open for further replies.