Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Korean
Home Country
South Korea
Current Location
South Korea
I would like to know the meaning of the next sentence.
You get the helium,too.

Dennis%20the%20Menace-2010.12.05.gif

JohnParis

Member Type
Retired Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
France
Cute comic strip.
It means that if the young girl had paid Dennis the dollar for the premium service, her balloon would still be whole and the helium would be inside.

BobK

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
:up: Not all balloons are filled with helium, but ones that get stuck on lamp-posts tend to be. ;-)

b
PS A trivial point; he doesn't look like Dennis to me. Dennis has black hair - improbably spikey, in the days before hair-gel. Maybe this is Dennis in his younger years, or Dennis's little brother or something
PPS Aha. 'Dollar'/'dime'. Perhaps he was redesigned for the US market.

Last edited:

Ouisch

Key Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
:up: Not all balloons are filled with helium, but ones that get stuck on lamp-posts tend to be. ;-)

b
PS A trivial point; he doesn't look like Dennis to me. Dennis has black hair - improbably spikey, in the days before hair-gel. Maybe this is Dennis in his younger years, or Dennis's little brother or something
PPS Aha. 'Dollar'/'dime'. Perhaps he was redesigned for the US market.

One truly does learn something new every day! I never knew that the UK had their own Dennis the Menace, who looks nothing like the blond American scamp of the same name. (Oh, and who debuted a mere five days before his British cousin.)

BobK

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
One truly does learn something new every day! I never knew that the UK had their own Dennis the Menace, who looks nothing like the blond American scamp of the same name. (Oh, and who debuted a mere five days before his British cousin.)
Hoist with my own petard :oops: - my 'redesigned' must have seemed very irksome for some readers - apologies ;-)

b

JohnParis

Member Type
Retired Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
France
Hoist with my own petard :oops: - my 'redesigned' must have seemed very irksome for some readers - apologies ;-)

b
Apologies ? Are you kidding? I was thrilled to learn that UK Dennis was a dark-haired kid. Like Ouisch said, you learn something new every day.

Status
Not open for further replies.