Student or Learner
Native Language
Tamil
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
Hello teachers,

In Grammar books ,I have seen that the expression according to should not be used with me but I see many people including News anchor using it.

Can it be used with "me"?

JohnParis

Member Type
Retired Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
France
Child: I want to go outside and play.
Mother: Not until you finish your homework.
Child: You're not the boss of me!
Mother: Oh yes I am, young man.
Child: According to who?
Mother: According to me.

I suppose that in such an example between a child and his parent, "according to me" is somewhat acceptable.

But, in general usage, don't you think that "according to me" sounds a bit pompous and self-inflated?
I wouldn't use it, I wouldn't write it, and I would certainly not give the slightest credence to any person that provided "according to me" as a citation of fact.

david11

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Tamil
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
But, in general usage, don't you think that "according to me" sounds a bit pompous and self-inflated?
I wouldn't use it, I wouldn't write it, and I would certainly not give the slightest credence to any person that provided "according to me" as a citation of fact.

Yes sir. I too think so but I see many people using that expression for citing a fact even eminent journalists ,politicians and lawyers who believed to have a good command over the language use this expression.

For eg,

According to me this movement is going to have a great impact on people.

I think the right one should be In my opinion this movement is going to have a great impact on people.

bhaisahab

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
Ireland
Yes sir. I too think so but I see many people using that expression for citing a fact even eminent journalists ,politicians and lawyers who believed to have a good command over the language use this expression.

For eg,

I think the right one should be In my opinion this movement is going to have a great impact on people.
Yes, you are right. Was this said by a native English speaker?

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia

For eg,

Yes, or even simpler, "I believe (or I think) that this movement ...."

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan

JohnParis's suggestion that it could be pompous and self-inflating would fit many of those. People often use unnecessarily complex ways of saying things because they think it sounds more learned and intellectual- take at this present moment in time; it could easily be replaced by now, which says exactly the same thing and saves five words. ;-)

david11

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Tamil
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
Thanks for replies.
:up:

Status