• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Ukrainian
      • Home Country:
      • Ukraine
      • Current Location:
      • Ukraine

Will often

Please explain to me what does the expression "will often" mean here. "In many parliaments and other similar assemblies, seating is typically arranged in banks or rows, with each political party or caucus grouped together. The spokespeople for each group will often sit at the front of their group, and are then known as being on the frontbench (or front bench) and are described as frontbenchers. Those sitting behind them are known as backbenchers. Independent and minority parties sit to the side, and are referred to as crossbenchers." Does it convey the idea of something taking place regularly or typically or it is a simple future with no specific aspect.

Thanks

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK

Re: Will often

It simply means that they often do this. We sometimes use what sounds like the future to describe a habit.

I will often eat breakfast at 2pm = I often eat breakfast at 2pm.
    He will often correct spelling mistakes in the newspaper = He often corrects spelling mistakes in the newspaper.

Why we do this is a mystery, to me at least!

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • Ireland

Re: Will often

Quote Originally Posted by olegv View Post
    Please explain to me what does the expression "will often" mean here. "In many parliaments and other similar assemblies, seating is typically arranged in banks or rows, with each political party or caucus grouped together. The spokespeople for each group will often sit at the front of their group, and are then known as being on the frontbench (or front bench) and are described as frontbenchers. Those sitting behind them are known as backbenchers. Independent and minority parties sit to the side, and are referred to as crossbenchers." Does it convey the idea of something taking place regularly or typically or it is a simple future with no specific aspect.

Thanks
    It means that in many cases the spokespersons for a party sit on the front benches.