Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Hebrew
Home Country
Israel
Current Location
Israel
hi everyone, I wanted to know what is the better way of teaching english in your opinion. should i use only english in my class or should i use some of the native language? should i translate some of the instructions on the board?

billmcd

Key Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
hi everyone, I wanted to know what is the better way of teaching english in your opinion. should i use only english in my class or should i use some of the native language? should i translate some of the instructions on the board?

In general, consideration should be given to the level you are teaching and the mix of nationalities (if there is a mix). But I see/have no problem using the students native language (or the newly introduced, politically correct term, "heritage language") for explaining/teaching certain components of the instruction.

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
My opinion: Yes, you should use the students' native language if necessary, as long as all your students have the same native language.

Maria Santorum

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Spanish
Home Country
Spain
Current Location
Spain
In my experience the best way to teach English is using it with your students most of the time. You do, I find, have to take into account ages. I teach English to both toddlers and adults, and the younger the students are, you might have to make yourself clear in their own language sometimes, specially rules and behaviours. In my opinion you can sometimes "replace" the english spoken words with a few chosen pictures for the youngest, placed strategically around the class.
With adults though, i find speaking English most of the time helps. If someone hasn´t fully understood, you can explain again, maybe with extra miming, or let other student try and explain it to them, therefore practising themselves.

Status
Not open for further replies.