• Native Language:
      • Persian
      • Home Country:
      • Iran
      • Current Location:
      • Iran

As

Hi.
    How can we understand if "as" is used in the sense of "becase, due to, etc" or just describing the background action?

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • France

Re: As

context. Context. CONTEXT.
    Almost every day I ask you for context, hooshdar3.
    Please provide examples of the problem(s) you are having.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Russian
      • Home Country:
      • Russian Federation
      • Current Location:
      • Russian Federation

We'll get it from context: look at the whole sentence, identify the nouns and the verbs - there you go.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Bengali; Bangla
      • Home Country:
      • Bangladesh
      • Current Location:
      • Bangladesh

Perhaps , He likes too short questions without context...

Wow! I became a Junior Member ..

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • Czech Republic

Quote Originally Posted by hooshdar3 View Post
    Hi.
    How can we understand if "as" is used in the sense of "becase, due to, etc" or just describing the background action?
    See below the black line.

6. Banned
    Interested in Language
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Persian
      • Home Country:
      • Iran
      • Current Location:
      • Iran

Quote Originally Posted by Bennevis View Post
    We'll get it from context: look at the whole sentence, identify the nouns and the verbs - there you go.
    What do you mean by "there you go"?

Context:
    "White has a bad bishop as his pawns on the queenside are situated on light-coloured square."

It's from a chess book.

But my question was general.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • Czech Republic

Can you give us one good reason why we should even think about attempting to help you? Time after time you have been asked to provide context, and time after time you have ignored the requests.

As a general question, yours is pointless - no word has any real meaning without context. If the question arose from the chess sentence you finally produced, why on earth did you not provide that at the start?

8. Banned
    Interested in Language
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Persian
      • Home Country:
      • Iran
      • Current Location:
      • Iran

Quote Originally Posted by 5jj View Post
    Can you give us one good reason why we should even think about attempting to help you? Time after time you have been asked to provide context, and time after time you have ignored the requests.

As a general question, yours is pointless - no word has any real meaning without context. If the question arose from the chess sentence you finally produced, why on earth did you not provide that at the start?
    So english has no rule to help me understand the meaning of words?
    Do I have to post for any sentence I encounter which has this word?

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • Laos

Meaning is generated by context. Rules determine things like word order, grammatical form, etc. The rule to follow to decide on the meaning of as is to read the sentence in context and decide which meaning is more likely. There may be some cases where this is not clear, but it is the method to follow. In most cases, it is a fairly simple process, but there are occasions where there is ambiguity. Dictionaries can give you the meaning of individual words, but putting them together and making sense of sentences, paragraphs and texts is a creative task. People will often disagree over the exact meaning of things.

Law is a relevant case- laws are written with tried and trusted phrases and wording whose meanings have been agreed for years, yet there is still plenty of disagreement over interpretation. The only languages that I know of where all meaning can be determined by rules are computer languages.
    Last edited by Tdol; 14-Dec-2011 at 09:32.

9. Banned
    Interested in Language
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Persian
      • Home Country:
      • Iran
      • Current Location:
      • Iran

Quote Originally Posted by Tdol View Post
    Meaning is generated by context. Rules determine things like word order, grammatical form, etc. The rule to follow to decide on the meaning of as is to read the sentence in context and decide which meaning is more likely. There may be some cases where this is not clear, but it is the method to follow. In 99.9% of cases, it is a fairly simple process, but there are occasions where there is ambiguity. Dictionaries can give you the meaning of individual words, but putting them together and making sense of sentences, paragraphs and texts is an individual and creative task. People will often disagree over the exact meaning of things.

Law is a relevant case- laws are written with tried and trusted phrases and wording whose meanings have been agreed for years, yet there is still plenty of disagreement over interpretation. The only languages that I know of where all meaning can be determined by rules are computer languages.
    You mean that I do have to post here for every single as-containing statement?and that you will never exdplain why have you inferred such a meaning?And remember, you still have not answered my original question

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast