English Teacher
Native Language
Arabic
Home Country
Palestinian Territory
Current Location
Palestinian Territory
Which one is the best answer:

Through reading books with non-violent themes,children can discover alternatives to the violence they often see on television.
What does the word "alternatives" mean?

1. Preferences

2. Selections

3. Choices

4. Possibilities

??

billmcd

Key Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Which one is the best answer:

Through reading books with non-violent themes,children can discover alternatives to the violence they often see on television.
What does the word "alternatives" mean?

1. Preferences

2. Selections

3. Choices

4. Possibilities

??

Good question for the Forum. I would go with "possibilities".

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
None of them fits.

Unwritten

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Arabic
Home Country
Palestinian Territory
Current Location
Palestinian Territory
It is a question in an English book, and someone asked me to help him answer it, I really didn`t know which one is correct .. !

I`ll ask him to give me the context if possible.

TheParser

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
NOT A TEACHER

(1) I most respectfully offer this opinion from Webster's Dictionary of Synonyms:

"Alternative ... is often loosely used of more than two possible choices."

(2) The same book lists the following words as synonyms of alternative:

option
choice
preference
selection
election

JohnParis

Member Type
Retired Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
France
If the question here is "what does the word alternatives mean", then the answer is: (of one or more things) available as another possibility.
If the question is really "which word means alternatives", then "possibilities" would be my choice.
Given all that, I also agree with 5jj in his assessment that none truly work. They all feel awkward.

The note on usage from the Oxford Dictionary of the English Language Unabridged edition:
USAGE 1 Alternate can be a verb, noun, or adjective, while alternative can be a noun or adjective. In both American and British English, the adjective alternate means 'every other' ( : there will be a dance on alternate Saturdays) and the adjective alternative means 'available as another choice' ( : an alternative route;: alternative medicine; alternative energy sources). In American usage, however, alternate can also be used to mean 'available as another choice': : an alternate plan called for construction to begin immediately rather than waiting for spring. Likewise, a book club may offer an 'alternate selection' as an alternative to the main selection. USAGE 2 Some traditionalists maintain, from an etymological standpoint, that you can have only two alternatives (from the Latin alter ‘other (of two); the other’) and that uses of more than two alternatives are erroneous. Such uses are, however, normal in modern standard English.

billmcd

Key Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
NOT A TEACHER

(1) I most respectfully offer this opinion from Webster's Dictionary of Synonyms:

"Alternative ... is often loosely used of more than two possible choices."

(2) The same book lists the following words as synonyms of alternative:

option
choice
preference
selection
election

Yes, my option, choice, preference, selection, election and alternative for alternative is supported by the definition you found of "..... more than two possible ("possibilities") choices. :)

Unwritten

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Arabic
Home Country
Palestinian Territory
Current Location
Palestinian Territory
So you say that all of them are true?

JohnParis

Member Type
Retired Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
France
We may have gotten off-topic.
Is your question number 1 or number 2 (see below)?

1. Given the four options provided, what is the best answer (word) that defines "alternatives" or

2. Given the four options provided, what is the best synonym for "alternatives"?

In other words, from the four options you have indicated, are you looking for the word that comes closest to defining "alternatives" or are you looking for the word that can be used instead of "alternatives"?

Last edited:

White Hat

Banned
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Russian Federation
Current Location
Russian Federation
The whole wording of it leaves much to be desired.

What does the word "alternatives" mean (here):
preferences, selections, choices, or possibilities?

I'd go for either "choices" or "possibilities".

Through reading books with non-violent themes, children can discover there are other choices to violence.

Through reading books with non-violent themes, children can discover there are other possibilities of resolving a disagreement or conflict other than just violence.

bhaisahab

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
Ireland
"Through reading books with non-violent themes,children can discover alternatives to the violence they often see on television." This is perfectly OK as a sentence.JohnParis's post, #9, gets to the point.

Status
Not open for further replies.