The name for this speech impediment, please...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mehrgan

Key Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
Hi,
I hope someone will help me with finding this word for a type of speech impediment, please. As far as I know, one of such problems is called 'slip', when one pronounces /s/ and /z/ as /θ/. However, there's another form of such impediments for which I haven't ffound any name yet. This is when the sounds /s/ and /ʃ/ are pronounced as something like a sound between /ʃ/ and /tʃ/. The first form of impediment (sound) is produced with the tip of the tongue, while the latter is produced when the tongue front (or maybe the blade of the tongue) and the hard palate are involved.

I'd very much appreciate it if you could tell me how it is referred to both in formal and everyday speech.

Many thanks in advance!

Preceptor

Member Type
Retired Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Without hearing the sound, it is difficult to be certain what the tongue and mouth might be doing. However, I strongly suspect what you are describing is a 'lateral emission lisp.' It results from the tip fo the tongue being pressed to the back of the front teeth at the roof of the mouth, while the air escapes from the side of the mouth between the edge of the tongue and the molars.

Mehrgan

Key Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
Thanks a lot, dears!

Status