Results 1 to 6 of 6
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Kurdish
      • Home Country:
      • Turkey
      • Current Location:
      • Turkey

    • Join Date: Dec 2011
    • Posts: 2
    #1

    computer engineering student

    hello I m computer engineering student. so I want to learn academic english. how can ı learn please let me know..

  1. JohnParis's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • France

    • Join Date: Oct 2011
    • Posts: 773
    #2

    Re: computer engineering student

    Does you school offer English courses?
    Is there a counselor at your school that you could ask?

    I, personally, DO NOT recommend online English courses. Save your money for a real course with a real professor (hopefully a native speaker).
    Sorry I can't be of more help.

    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Kurdish
      • Home Country:
      • Turkey
      • Current Location:
      • Turkey

    • Join Date: Dec 2011
    • Posts: 2
    #3

    Re: computer engineering student

    THANK YOU .

  2. Raymott's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Australia
      • Current Location:
      • Australia

    • Join Date: Jun 2008
    • Posts: 24,103
    #4

    Re: computer engineering student

    Quote Originally Posted by JohnParis View Post
    I, personally, DO NOT recommend online English courses. Save your money for a real course with a real professor (hopefully a native speaker).
    That's interesting. Have you heard of any of these courses that have had good reviews from non-English-speaking students? Even if 90% are rubbish that leaves 10% that might be worth recommending.

  3. rainous's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Galician
      • Home Country:
      • Armenia
      • Current Location:
      • Antilles

    • Join Date: Jun 2011
    • Posts: 336
    #5

    Re: computer engineering student

    I wish you all the best of luck in your future endeavors, my friend.

    Along the way, maybe you should take comfort in knowing this one little fact;
    (I am not quite sure why though, maybe you can tell me why)

    A lot engineers (regardless of what language they speak) struggle speaking, writing, communicating their thoughts and ideas effectively. Not only do they struggle with their clumsiness in juicing out well thought-out, structurally cohesive sentences (which is quite understandable), they often end up making downright silly grammatical mistakes such as verb-noun disagreement or tense inconsistency. So having to learn whole other language from scratch can be a real pain in the ass for someone like you, given the field you are in.

    But, of course, you can overcome all of this by studying your tail off and, who knows, you might end up becoming the Christopher Hitchens of Computer Engineering. But then, I wonder who would want to read, say, an instruction manual written in Hitchens' style? Not me. So it's clear you can have it both ways and you gonna eventually have to compromise somewhere between the two, just like it's the case for everything else in life.

    But back to your original question,
    just in terms of improving the overall communication skill, you can definitely get a lot better.
    Find a learning method that works for you and keep plugging away.

  4. JohnParis's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • France

    • Join Date: Oct 2011
    • Posts: 773
    #6

    Re: computer engineering student

    Quote Originally Posted by Raymott View Post
    That's interesting. Have you heard of any of these courses that have had good reviews from non-English-speaking students? Even if 90% are rubbish that leaves 10% that might be worth recommending.
    No, I haven't Raymott. Sorry.
    But perhaps you could offer our friend macleod476 the names of the courses that have received good reviews? I know I would be interested, and since he came here for advice, I imagine he would be too.

Similar Threads

  1. computer science or computer sciences
    By ostap77 in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 12-Mar-2011, 01:05
  2. hall monitor/ the sentry student or the student on duty?
    By eren deren in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 24-Feb-2011, 15:13
  3. inside a computer or in a computer
    By Shenfeng in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 03-Apr-2010, 00:31
  4. computer nerd/ computer geek
    By Jaskin in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 06-Nov-2008, 16:07
  5. play computer or on the computer
    By stephanieamiot in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 21-Mar-2008, 00:23

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •