Other
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
Hi all,
I feel kind of confused about the names of some schools in British English and their difference with the American ones. For example, "secondary school" seems to be in common in both but we also have junior high school and senior high school in the US which becomes more confusing when middle school comes into play.
Can somebody help me out with this?
I'll also be very thankful if someone could explain the same differences in tertiary education in both countries.

Many thanks.

Last edited:

TheParser

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Hi all,

NOT A TEACHER

(1) Yes, it is confusing.

(2) Before I was born, "high school" in the United States referred to four

years of a student's secondary (as opposed to "elementary") education. That is,

grades 9 -12. (Elementary was grades 1 - 8.)

(3) Then somewhere along the line, the authorities decided that children in grades 7

and 8 were too old to mix with children in grades 1 - 5 and that children in grade 9 were too

young to mix with children in grades 10 - 12. Thus was born the so-called "junior

high school," and grades 10 - 12 were renamed "senior high school." (junior h.s. = grades 7 - 9)

(4) Then in the last 25 years or so, the authorities changed their minds again. They

decided that children in grade 6 were now too mature to mix with grades 1-5 and that

children in grade 9 were now ready to again mix with grades 10 - 12. Thus was born

the so-called "middle school" (grades 6 - 8).

(5) And to make things even more fun, kindly remember that elementary school, middle school, and senior high school are called "public schools," but that in the United Kingdom, I believe, "public schools" refer to private schools, such as Eton and Harrow.

(6) Oh, and don't forget: Some American children do not attend either public or private

schools. They study at home, and their teachers are their parents!

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
(5) And to make things even more fun, kindly remember that elementary school, middle school, and senior high school are called "public schools," but that in the United Kingdom, I believe, "public schools" refer to private schools, such as Eton and Harrow

Independent schools is often used nowadays, which sidesteps the issue. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.