• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • UK

Smile Sentence revision

Hi all, I got some good advice from you folks before, so back for some more. Hoping you guys can revise the two statements below. Doesn't matter how much I focus on them, they just don't sound quite right! Thanks in advance.

1) Nevertheless, it took much longer than I had anticipated to receive your findings.

2) I had known Mr James lived close to my home- at 101 West Street- but, only now do I realise how close. I feel more happy and delighted than ever before.

Thanks again,

James

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK

Re: Sentence revision

Quote Originally Posted by james_2011 View Post
    Hi all, I got some good advice from you folks before, so back for some more. Hoping you guys can revise the two statements below. Doesn't matter how much I focus on them, they just don't sound quite right! Thanks in advance.

1) Nevertheless, it took much longer than I had anticipated to receive your findings.

2) I had known Mr James lived close to my home- at 101 West Street- but, only now do I realise how close. I feel more happy and delighted than ever before.

Thanks again,

James
    1) Nevertheless, your findings took much longer than I had anticipated to reach me.

2) I knew Mr James lived near me, at 101 West Street, but only now do I realise just how near. I'm happier and more delighted than ever [now that I know that]!

I'm not quite sure how you could have only just realised how close Mr James lived, if you already knew his address. Did you not know your own address?! Or did you literally mean that you hadn't realised quite how close 101 West Street was to your own house?

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • UK

Quote Originally Posted by emsr2d2 View Post
    1) Nevertheless, your findings took much longer than I had anticipated to reach me.

2) I knew Mr James lived near me, at 101 West Street, but only now do I realise just how near. I'm happier and more delighted than ever [now that I know that]!

I'm not quite sure how you could have only just realised how close Mr James lived, if you already knew his address. Did you not know your own address?! Or did you literally mean that you hadn't realised quite how close 101 West Street was to your own house?
    Thanks for your answer, friend. 101 West Street is my address. Perhaps that didn't come across well.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK

Quote Originally Posted by james_2011 View Post
    Thanks for your answer, friend. 101 West Street is my address. Perhaps that didn't come across well.
    No, that definitely isn't what I read from it. The way it was laid out and worded made me think that 101 West Street was his address.

I live at 101 West Street and I knew Mr James lived near me, but only now do I realise how near!

I knew Mr James lived near my address, which is 101 West Street, but only now ...

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • UK

Quote Originally Posted by emsr2d2 View Post
    No, that definitely isn't what I read from it. The way it was laid out and worded made me think that 101 West Street was his address.

I live at 101 West Street and I knew Mr James lived near me, but only now do I realise how near!

I knew Mr James lived near my address, which is 101 West Street, but only now ...
    Thanks again!! I will close thread, as what you have suggested helps me enormously.

James

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • Laos

I am opening the thread. Please leave threads open- they will close automatically if no one else replies and people may have things they want to say. This is a public forum. Thank you.