Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Ukrainian
Home Country
Ukraine
Current Location
Ukraine
Aomame’s fingers traced the dowager’s muscles as though following roads on a map. She remembered in detail the degree of each muscle’s tension and stiffness and resistance the way a pianist memorizes a long score. In matters concerning the body, Aomame possessed minute powers of memory. And if she should forget, her fingers remembered.
(H. Murakami; 1Q84)

I surmise that 'minute' means 'precise or detailed here.
Am I right?

Thanks.

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
I'd say so.

JohnParis

Member Type
Retired Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
France
Hello suprunp,

Yes, you are right (as Tdol has just confirmed).

I remember reading this passage and thinking (not for the first time) that the English translation of this novel was odd. I have a copy of the French translation and the passage in question was translated as: "In matters concerning the body, Aomame's powerful memory could recall the smallest of details. And if she should forget, her fingers remembered."

suprunp

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Ukrainian
Home Country
Ukraine
Current Location
Ukraine
"In matters concerning the body, Aomame's powerful memory could recall the smallest of details. And if she should forget, her fingers remembered."

I think this fits the context almost perfectly, while 'minute powers' compelled me, quite unnecessary, to stop and think. :)

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
I think this fits the context almost perfectly, while 'minute powers' compelled me, quite unnecessary, to stop and think. :)

I agree. While "in minute detail" makes perfect sense as far as the meaning goes, I too saw "minute powers of memory" and thought it meant that she had incredibly small powers of memory! I didn't think that was anything to be terribly proud of.

Status
Not open for further replies.