Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Hong Kong
Current Location
Hong Kong
Talking about handlling children's emotion. There are two expression I would like to clarify.

1. Are ground time and time out the same?

2. Can I say:
  • He needs some ground time to calm down himself.
  • He needs some time out to calm down himself.
3. When a child was sent by the teacher to stay or sit aside the class, does it mean he is having time out or ground time.

Thank you.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Talking about handlling children's emotion. There are two expression I would like to clarify.

2. Can I say:
3. When a child was sent by the teacher to stay or sit aside the class, does it mean he is having time out or ground time.

Thank you.

I've never heard of "ground time" in BrE. I would usually say "a time out", not "some time out". It's from sport and means a break, usually as a punishment, but can mean just to go away and do something else (or nothing) to get away from a situation.

billmcd

Key Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States

2. Can I say:

Thank you.

To be "grounded" in AmE refers to time confined to the home usually by an adolescent for some transgression, but is typically for a longer period of time (i.e. a day, several days, a week etc.) than a "time out" which could be for a few minutes. However, to be grounded is not referred to as "ground time". Instead you might say, "He is/was grounded", "You are going to be grounded" etc.

The term "grounded" originates from a term used when pilots are/were disciplined for some violation and results in a period of time during which they may not fly.

Status
Not open for further replies.