Does 'three times more' have the same meaning as 'three times as much'?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tan Elaine

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
English
Home Country
Hong Kong
Current Location
Hong Kong
Carrying goods by train costs three times more than carrying by barge.

Does 'three times more' have the same meaning as 'three times as much'?

Thanks.

SoothingDave

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Yes. It costs $100 one way and $300 the other.

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
There is a lot of confusion about this. The safest thing is always to use three times as much as. If somebody says to you three times more than, ask them to confirm the actual figure.

konungursvia

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
Three times as much would likely be 300%, whereas three times more may signify 400%.

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
Three times as much would likely be 300%, whereas three times more may signify 400%.
That's what I have always believed. Unfortunately some people use both to mean 300%.

Verona_82

Member Type
Other
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Russian Federation
Current Location
Ukraine
That's what I have always believed. Unfortunately some people use both to mean 300%.

Why unfortunately? "...times more" asks for doing a rapid multiplication with a subsequent addition, which complicates everything.

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
Why unfortunately? "...times more" asks for doing a rapid multiplication with a subsequent addition, which complicates everything.
'Unfortunately', because it can lead to confusion and misunderstanding. That's why I made the suggestion I did in post #3.

three times as much = 300%.
four times as much = 400%.

Three times more = ? (It's all very well for Konungursvia and me to say it is 400%, but if others think it is 300% then there is a problem).

Last edited:

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
Wouldn't that be an argument for simply not using it in front of non-mathematicians rather than to pretend that it means the same as "three times as much" if, and only if, the author intends it that way?

The problem is that, eventually, language tends towards the lowest common denominator unless there's a very good reason for it not to. The LCD here is that they mean the same because, as you point out, figuring the difference is beyond most people. We use language for communication, so even if we have to use completely incorrect terms to get a point across, that's what's necessary.

If a patient has only 10% chance of recovering, and he's visited the next day by his doctor who says, pleased, that he's improved 100% overnight, the patient (if I know patients) will NOT get the message that he still has only a 20% survival chance.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.