Retired Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
France
Hello Emogen and welcome to Using English :hi::multi:
The answer to your question is: it depends on the context.
There is not one set rule for when you can and cannot use these words. It all depends upon what you want to say.

If you want to, you can post sentences here and ask if they are or are not correct. But, please, provide as much context as possible.
For example:

I would like to know if the following sentences are correct. They are about Google.
Should I search for the answer on Google?
Should I look for the answer on Google?
Should I seek the answer on Google?

emogen

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Brazilian Portuguese
Home Country
Brazil
Current Location
Brazil
Hi JohnParis!

I thought that for each verb would be a specific use.
Is there any case that these verbs should not be used?

Thank you once again!

SirGod

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Romanian
Home Country
Romania
Current Location
Romania
* Not a teacher

I use them as follows:

look for: when I am looking for something that is not very important - I am looking for my Spanish book, I need it tomorrow in the morning.
search: when I am looking for something that I (really) need (at that moment) - Hey, man, what's up? I am searching for my pen, I need to write something down right now.
seek: when I am looking for something that is not an object - All my life I've been seeking my inner peace/love/happiness.

However, I don't think there's such a big difference between look for and search. If there is any.

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
Hi people!

I would like to know the correct moment to use:
>> Look for:
>> Search:
>> Seek:

Thank you for your help!
Hi emogen.
Your question is a good one, but the answer is impossible, since we cannot provide for you all the possible moments that you'd need one of those verbs and tell you, for each, which to use. (OK, maybe that makes it a bad question - we needn't get into that).

A better way to get an answer here would be to provide some situations (or sentences), and ask which of the three forms we would use. We're much better at that.
Otherwise, the best way to get that information is to check a dictionary and see what types of examples they give for each word.

SirGod's examples are good, but they only deal with Spanish books, pens, and inner happiness. What if there was a missing a child, for example?
"Look for" seems to me to be a good all-purpose phrase that covers all categories (including all of SirGod's competent attempts) . You should be able to get by with "look for", until you develop a feeling for the other two.

Status
Not open for further replies.