• Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • China
      • Current Location:
      • China

• Post Thanks / Like

with = because of?

Because of the intervention of a cabinet secretary or White House, the very power for drug approval is at the risk of being abused?

Context:

THE unilateral decision last week by Kathleen Sebelius, the secretary of health and human services, to block the Plan B One-Step contraceptive pill from being sold to adolescents without a prescription is shocking in more ways than one.

Not only was it unexpected, but for the first time in American history, a cabinet secretary — and by extension, a president — has overruled a drug-approval decision by the Food and Drug Administration.

The precedent risks placing the real power for drug approval not just with a cabinet secretary, but with the White House itself. The only solution, then, is to make the F.D.A. truly independent. Americans have already done this, through the Federal Reserve, to protect our money supply from political meddling; it’s time to do it for drugs.

More:

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/12/14/op...-fda.html?_r=3

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Canada
      • Current Location:
      • Canada

• Post Thanks / Like

Re: with = because of?

No, it here it just means "in."

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • China
      • Current Location:
      • China

• Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by konungursvia View Post
    No, it here it just means "in."
    Risks placing the power in the hand of a secretary or a member of White House?

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • China
      • Current Location:
      • China

• Post Thanks / Like

Wake up and rise.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

• Post Thanks / Like

Do you think we are here 24 hours a day at the beck and call of the people who post here?

We are volunteers. We come when we have time. We answer the questions when we have knowledge of the answer and an interest in the topic.

You do NOT have the right to command us to come and answer your questions as though we are your servants.

I'm sure (at least I hope!) you didn't intend for your post to come across as astonishingly rude and demanding, but it did!
    I'm not a teacher, but I write for a living. Please don't ask me about 2nd conditionals, but I'm a safe bet for what reads well in (American) English.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • China
      • Current Location:
      • China

• Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Barb_D View Post
    Do you think we are here 24 hours a day at the beck and call of the people who post here?

We are volunteers. We come when we have time. We answer the questions when we have knowledge of the answer and an interest in the topic.

You do NOT have the right to command us to come and answer your questions as though we are your servants.

I'm sure (at least I hope!) you didn't intend for your post to come across as astonishingly rude and demanding, but it did!
    Thank you for the comment.

But I didn't mean to be rude. Because I didn't know "wake up and rise" would be so coarse in your ears. So it is more important than the thread itself to know the fact that may help avoid future misunderstanding.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

• Post Thanks / Like

I appreciate your response.

Do you know the word "purview"?

Placing it "with" = Placing it in the purview of.
    I'm not a teacher, but I write for a living. Please don't ask me about 2nd conditionals, but I'm a safe bet for what reads well in (American) English.