Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Korean
Home Country
South Korea
Current Location
South Korea
This is a question I made, but 1's would have been's interpreation is dubious as most people interpret it as counterfactual hypothesis. How can I modify this? If you have any good opinion, please let me know.

[FONT=맑은 고딕]Q. Translate the underlined and discuss the difference of the usages.[/FONT]
[FONT=맑은 고딕]1)[/FONT] [FONT=맑은 고딕]My friend went to Girls’ Generation’s concert yesterday. It would have been fun.[/FONT]
[FONT=맑은 고딕]2)[/FONT] [FONT=맑은 고딕]I didn’t go to the concert. If I had gone, I would have seen Taeyoun. [/FONT]
[FONT=맑은 고딕] [/FONT]
Answer - 1's would have been means a certainty about the past, while 2's [FONT=맑은 고딕]would have seen means counterfactual hypothesis that actually didn't happen.[/FONT]

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
1. 'It will have been fun' expresses certainty about the past. 'It would have been fun' is less certain. Additional context might also reveal that the speaker is actually suggesting regret that s/he did not go - (It would have been fun if I had been able to go).
2. This is indeed counterfactual. The speaker did not go to the concert and did not see Taeyoun.

keannu

VIP Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Korean
Home Country
South Korea
Current Location
South Korea
1. 'It will have been fun' expresses certainty about the past. 'It would have been fun' is less certain. Additional context might also reveal that the speaker is actually suggesting regret that s/he did not go - (It would have been fun if I had been able to go).
2. This is indeed counterfactual. The speaker did not go to the concert and did not see Taeyoun.

For 1. I meant it as a certainty meaning "It would have been fun for my friend, not me" Can't this a part of the meanings it can imply? A presumption, not a counterfactual hypothesis. I learned from a grammar site that "would have been" without "had+pp" can mean less certainty for the past.

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
For 1. I meant it as a certainty meaning "It would have been fun for my friend, not me" ... I learned from a grammar site that "would have been" without "had+pp" can mean less certainty for the past.
If you learnt that it could mean less certainty (which is also what I said), why did you use it for certainty?

keannu

VIP Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Korean
Home Country
South Korea
Current Location
South Korea
If you learnt that it could mean less certainty (which is also what I said), why did you use it for certainty?
I meant it as a certainty for the subject in the context who is my friend, but it seems to have a different nuance than I intended, so is it always the speaker involved?

keannu

VIP Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Korean
Home Country
South Korea
Current Location
South Korea
Okay, I got it! As context is vital,
if you say "It would been fun for my friend", it will mean "I'm quite certain that it was fun for my friend.",
but if you say "It would been fun for me", it will mean "If I had gone, it would have been fun for me".
What do you think?

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
if you say "It would been fun for my friend", it will mean "I'm quite certain that it was fun for my friend.",
but if you say "It would been fun for me", it will mean "If I had gone, it would have been fun for me".
What do you think?
I think you should read the second, third and fourth words of your own second sentence again.

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
What do you think?
I'm commenting only because you seem to attribute too much certainty to this phrase.

Martha: My daughter went to the Girls’ Generation concert last night.
Jane: Oh, that would have been fun for her!

In this case, Jane has no certainty at all. She is merely answering sociably. It's the sort of thing you say. Martha's daughter may well have overdosed on Ecstacy and ended up in hospital for all Jane knows at the exact moment of saying this. It's part of a dialogue.

keannu

VIP Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Korean
Home Country
South Korea
Current Location
South Korea
You mean it's always a certainty for counterfactual hypothesis? The daughter actually didn't enjoy it, so Jane is just wishing the counterfactual fact?

The reason I made such utterance is because of this grammar I found on internet. It was to show "would have pp" in some cases can have the meaning of presumption.
Since then, I was obssessed with this grammar that affected me into believing "would have pp" can be a certainty without any conditional mood or hypothesis,
Isn't there any possibility that "would have pp'" can be a certainty without any conditional mood? There seems a few, if any, according to many teachers' opinions. I'd better abandon this grammar.

http://www.englishclub.com/grammar/verbs-modal-would.htm

[FONT=&#44404]would: Presumption or expectation[/FONT]
* [FONT=&#44404]That would be Jo calling. I'll answer it. [/FONT]
* [FONT=&#44404]We saw a police helicopter overhead yesterday morning. | Really? They would have been looking for those bank robbers. [/FONT]​

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Given that there is no way of knowing whether it was fun for your friend (unless she already told you that she had fun), I find the use of "would have" quite odd.

My friend went to a concert yesterday. It was probably fun.
My friend went to a concert yesterday. I imagine it was fun.
My friend went to a concert yesterday. It's likely that it was fun.

I would only use "She would have had fun" if she hadn't gone.

It's a shame my friend couldn't come to the concert last night. It would have been fun (for her, had she been there).
If you went to the concert, you already know if it (the concert) was fun or not.

keannu

VIP Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Korean
Home Country
South Korea
Current Location
South Korea
Given that there is no way of knowing whether it was fun for your friend (unless she already told you that she had fun), I find the use of "would have" quite odd.

My friend went to a concert yesterday. It was probably fun.
My friend went to a concert yesterday. I imagine it was fun.
My friend went to a concert yesterday. It's likely that it was fun.

I would only use "She would have had fun" if she hadn't gone.

It's a shame my friend couldn't come to the concert last night. It would have been fun (for her, had she been there).
If you went to the concert, you already know if it (the concert) was fun or not.

Then, what is this grammar stuff talking about?
http://www.englishclub.com/grammar/v...odal-would.htm

[FONT=&#44404]would: Presumption or expectation[/FONT]
* [FONT=&#44404]That would be Jo calling. I'll answer it. [/FONT]
* [FONT=&#44404]We saw a police helicopter overhead yesterday morning. | Really? They would have been looking for those bank robbers[/FONT]​

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
You mean it's always a certainty for counterfactual hypothesis? The daughter actually didn't enjoy it, so Jane is just wishing the counterfactual fact?
No. Nobody has suggested that.

The reason I made such utterance is because of this grammar I found on the internet. It was to show "would have pp" in some cases can have the meaning of presumption. ...Isn't there any possibility that "would have pp'" can be a certainty without any conditional mood?
Yes, but the certainty is not as great as with 'will have + past particple', as a couple of us have explained.

Last edited:

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
emsr2d2 merely said that she found the use of 'would have' in your particular example quite odd. I happen not to find it as odd as she apparently does, but agree that we would probably be more likely to hear one of the alternative versions she suggested.

We are dealing here with a construction that is fairly uncommon. Not everybody is going to see it in exactly the same way.

Status
Not open for further replies.