• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Bulgarian
      • Home Country:
      • Bulgaria
      • Current Location:
      • Bulgaria

In time/On time

Still don't get it.Would you ,please,give clearer examples? Thank you!

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

Re: In time/On time

Hi,
    You can use the serach option. I entered "in time" "on time" (with the quotes as shown) and got several threads.

This is one of them: https://www.usingenglish.com/forum/a.../139305-a.html

If you look through those and still have questions, please ask again.
    I'm not a teacher, but I write for a living. Please don't ask me about 2nd conditionals, but I'm a safe bet for what reads well in (American) English.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

Re: In time/On time

Quote Originally Posted by Probablymaybe View Post
    Still don't get it.Would you ,please,give clearer examples? Thank you!

NOT A TEACHER

Here are some examples that I have made up. I hope that they are correct.

ON TIME

(1) I have read that the trains in Japan always arrive on time. (If the schedule says that it will arrive at 7:15, then it arrives at 7:15!)

(2) The examination will start at 8 a.m. Be sure that you arrive on time. The professor will lock the doors at 8 a.m. You can cry all you want, but she will not let you enter after 8 a.m.

(3) I had a doctor's appointment for 10 a.m. But I had to sit in the waiting room until 10:45 before he saw me. I wanted to ask him "Why didn't you see me on time?" But, of course, I was afraid to say that. Here in the United States, we treat physicians with super respect.

IN TIME

(4) A man was hiking (walking) in the mountains when he fell and hurt himself. There was no one around. He lay on the ground for two days without any food or water. He was near death. Then suddenly a woman (who had also been hiking) found him. The happy man said, " Oh, I am so happy to see you. You have arrived just in time. If you had not come now, I would probably have died within a few hours."

(5) This is a true (and sad) story. Many years ago, a singer was in an automobile accident. The ambulance came, but it did NOT take her to the nearest hospital. Why? Well, in those days, some hospitals did not accept patients of her race. So they took her to a hospital farther away that was established for people of her race. But the ambulance did not arrive in time, so she died on the way there.

(6) You and your family are eating dinner. Someone knocks on the door. You open it and see that it is a neighbor, who asks "Can I borrow your car so that I can drive to a restaurant?" And you reply, "You do not need to go to a restaurant. You have arrived just in time to join us for our dinner. Welcome, friend."
    Last edited by TheParser; 19-Dec-2011 at 17:16.