Results 1 to 6 of 6
  1. Mehrgan's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Persian
      • Home Country:
      • Iran
      • Current Location:
      • Iran

    • Join Date: Apr 2009
    • Posts: 1,742
    #1

    Question 'Nursery' and 'Creche'?

    Hi,
    Do these words refer to the same place? My interpretation is a 'creche' is a part of a working place. Hope someone will help me with this.



    Many thanks!

  2. riquecohen's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • Brazil

    • Join Date: Aug 2010
    • Posts: 6,002
    #2

    Re: 'Nursery' and 'Creche'?

    While you're waiting for a BrE-speaker to reply, I'll just say that the word creche in AmE is only used for a representation of the Nativity scene. Nursery, however can refer to a baby's bedroom, to a hospital ward for newborns, or to a pre-school for young children.

  3. Mehrgan's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Persian
      • Home Country:
      • Iran
      • Current Location:
      • Iran

    • Join Date: Apr 2009
    • Posts: 1,742
    #3

    Re: 'Nursery' and 'Creche'?

    Quote Originally Posted by riquecohen View Post
    While you're waiting for a BrE-speaker to reply, I'll just say that the word creche in AmE is only used for a representation of the Nativity scene. Nursery, however can refer to a baby's bedroom, to a hospital ward for newborns, or to a pre-school for young children.
    Actually, I do appreciate your replying to my question. Many thanks!

  4. emsr2d2's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK

    • Join Date: Jul 2009
    • Posts: 41,883
    #4

    Re: 'Nursery' and 'Creche'?

    Quote Originally Posted by Mehrgan View Post
    Hi,
    Do these words refer to the same place? My interpretation is a 'creche' is a part of a working place. Hope someone will help me with this.



    Many thanks!
    In BrE, a "nursery" can be a baby's bedroom, a shortened version of "nursery school", which is for children of between about 2 and 4, or another word for a garden centre (a shop selling plants and other garden equipment).

    A "creche" is normally an area in a workplace where people can leave their children at the beginning of the working day and pick them up again at the end. It's not necessarily at their own workplace. There are creches which are in separate buildings. It sometimes applies to a place where children are looked after but not connected to work. For example, at a wedding I attended recently, the bride and groom told everyone that there would be a creche facility available where they could leave their children while they (the parents) came to the wedding and the party afterwards, without having to bring and worry about their kids.

  5. Mehrgan's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Persian
      • Home Country:
      • Iran
      • Current Location:
      • Iran

    • Join Date: Apr 2009
    • Posts: 1,742
    #5

    Re: 'Nursery' and 'Creche'?

    Quote Originally Posted by emsr2d2 View Post
    In BrE, a "nursery" can be a baby's bedroom, a shortened version of "nursery school", which is for children of between about 2 and 4, or another word for a garden centre (a shop selling plants and other garden equipment).

    A "creche" is normally an area in a workplace where people can leave their children at the beginning of the working day and pick them up again at the end. It's not necessarily at their own workplace. There are creches which are in separate buildings. It sometimes applies to a place where children are looked after but not connected to work. For example, at a wedding I attended recently, the bride and groom told everyone that there would be a creche facility available where they could leave their children while they (the parents) came to the wedding and the party afterwards, without having to bring and worry about their kids.

    Thank you so much! So, I suppose there could also be places at restaurants for kids, called, perhaps, creches? Thanks again!

  6. emsr2d2's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK

    • Join Date: Jul 2009
    • Posts: 41,883
    #6

    Re: 'Nursery' and 'Creche'?

    Quote Originally Posted by Mehrgan View Post
    Thank you so much! So, I suppose there could also be places at restaurants for kids, called, perhaps, creches? Thanks again!
    There might be restaurants with creches. I've never seen one but that doesn't mean they don't exist. If they don't, they should, so that those of us who want to go to a restaurant at a weekend or during the day don't have their meal spoilt by kids running around everywhere, uncontrolled by irresponsible parents!

Similar Threads

  1. The theme of a nursery rhyme
    By setsails in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 03-Jul-2011, 09:54
  2. Teaching English in a crèche
    By mimi84 in forum General Language Discussions
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 10-Aug-2010, 11:03
  3. Nursery rhymes and very easy poetry
    By Unregistered in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 05-Oct-2007, 23:12

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •