Member Type
Other
Native Language
Japanese
Home Country
Japan
Current Location
Japan
You need to break away from fixed attitudes and prejudices.

Does 'fixed' above modify both 'attitudes' and 'prejudices'? Or 'attitudes' alone?

konungursvia

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
When the two nouns (attitudes and prejudices) are similar, you can assume it modifies both. Usually, it does, in any case.

Taka

Member Type
Other
Native Language
Japanese
Home Country
Japan
Current Location
Japan
At first, I thought so, but later I thought 'attitudes' alone here didn't really make sense whereas 'prejudices' alone seemed to work, so I asked the question.

JMurray

Key Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
English
Home Country
New Zealand
Current Location
Australia
Because the term "prejudices" embodies the idea of strongly, and often stubbornly held preconceptions, in a sense they are already "fixed". And so, in this case "fixed" is most applicable to "attitudes" and is, perhaps, redundant for "prejudices". But it does serve to reinforce the point.
However in: "Her cooking always involves the most exotic tastes and aromas", "exotic" would be read as qualifying both nouns, as konungursvia says.

not a teacher

konungursvia

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
I don't think 'prejudice' always refers to strong, dogmatic preconceptions. As most of us know, it refers to judgments formed before the evidence is revealed in full. To me, the concept of time is central, the idea of stubbornness probably isn't. Just my thoughts. In legal English, it also refers to any harm, however minor.

JMurray

Key Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
English
Home Country
New Zealand
Current Location
Australia
@konungursvia: Thanks, you're right. I didn't mean to suggest that my reading of "prejudices" in this example represents the only definition.
I agree, of course, that the concept of time is central, but I feel that in general conversation the sense of stubbornness is often strongly implied and that's how I read it here.

Status
Not open for further replies.