[Grammar] 've instead of "have" in present simple.

Status
Not open for further replies.

flocosix

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Romanian
Home Country
Moldova
Current Location
Moldova
Is it correct to say "I've" instead of "I have" in sentences like "I have no idea", aka present simple and other similar cases? - "I've no idea".
I think I've noticed people using it like that for a few times, but I'm not sure.

Last edited:

English Freak

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
As far as I know, you can't say "I've no idea.", because "have" is the main verb here not an auxiliary. So it's not possible to have the contracted form.
But, when "have" is an auxiliary, it's possible to have the short form as in "I've seen this movie several times." or "I've got no idea."

Rover_KE

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
'I've no idea' is commonly used informally and widely understood to mean 'I have no idea'.

Rover

konungursvia

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
Note that "I've" meaning "I have" is relatively rare in AmE.

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
As far as I know, you can't say "I've no idea.", because "have" is the main verb here not an auxiliary. So it's not possible to have the contracted form.
Wrong
- as Rover has already said.

billmcd

Key Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States

English Freak

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
'I've no idea' is commonly used informally and widely understood to mean 'I have no idea'.

Rover
As you pointed out, it is used informally. And I don't know why 5jj confidently and strongly rejects my post in his. :shock: If I remember correctly, he himself once said something like this: "This site is usually visited by those who don't have enough knowledge of English ...". So I think it's better to guide them to the correct way. I didn't say it was totally wrong to say "I've no idea.", I just said "As far as I know ...". I just thought it was better to let them know the best and most correct way in formal English. And I'm sure everybody understands "I've no idea", but is it the best? Everybody will understand "I heart you" if you say that, but how correct is it grammatically?
By the way, according to what I've learned, it seems anything is possible in informal English. ;-)

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
I don't know why 5jj confidently and strongly rejects my post in his.
Because you wrote, 'you can't say "I've no idea.", because "have" is the main verb here not an auxiliary. So it's not possible to have the contracted form.' This is just not true. "I've no idea" is commonly heard.
So I think it's better to guide them to the correct way.
But you didn't.
I didn't say it was totally wrong to say "I've no idea.", I just said "As far as I know ...".
One of the forum guidelines is (my emphasis added: :

You are welcome to reply to any of the questions posted in the Ask a Teacher Forum, even if you are not a teacher. In fact, your answers and contributions are most welcome. However, you will need to state clearly in your post that you are not a teacher. Please remember, the person whose questions you are answering or whose thread you are contributing ideas to believes the help is coming from a teacher.

There is a similar message at the top of this page.

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
I am going to close this thread as it is turning into a squabble. Please ensure that you guide people the correct way by showing them what is correct. Also, informal usage is in no way inferior to formal usage- it's not some depraved subset where ignorance and poor grammar reign.

Lastly, please try to stick to issues not personalities.

Status
Not open for further replies.