Member Type
Academic
Native Language
Spanish
Home Country
Cuba
Current Location
Cuba
Hi, could you tell me the difference between the three? Thanks.

bhaisahab

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
Ireland

elhabanero

Member Type
Academic
Native Language
Spanish
Home Country
Cuba
Current Location
Cuba
mmmm...ok ....so.... from now on I will look in a dictionary .....and you said you are a moderator.....mmm.....excellent way to moderate.....anyway ,Merry Christmas and happy new year....

Barb_D

Staff member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
In fact, it IS an excellent way to moderate. If you've looked them up and see overlapping definitions, and want to know which is best in a particular sentence, then say so. Most of the learners here want us to spend our time on where we can add the most value, not spitting out definitions available from other sources.

J

J&K Tutoring

The dictionary will tell you how these words overlap. The differences depend to a great degree on the application. In what context do you want to use one of these words?

elhabanero

Member Type
Academic
Native Language
Spanish
Home Country
Cuba
Current Location
Cuba
Politeness is best expressed as the practical application of good manners or etiquette. It is a culturally-defined phenomenon, and therefore what is considered polite in one culture can sometimes be quite rude or simply eccentric in another cultural context.

While the goal of politeness is to make all of the parties relaxed and comfortable with one another, these culturally-defined standards at times may be manipulated to inflict shame on a designated party.

tedtmc

Key Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Malaysia
Current Location
Malaysia
not a teacher

these culturally-defined standards at times may be manipulated to inflict shame on a designated party.

I think you have misundertood the intentions of the moderators. You are expected to have done some homework (as in checking up the dictionary) and given some thoughts to the question before asking.

Last edited:

BobK

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
mmmm...ok ....so.... from now on I will look in a dictionary .....and you said you are a moderator.....mmm.....excellent way to moderate.....anyway ,Merry Christmas and happy new year....
Absolutely - a dictionary would not give 'spoon-feeding' as a synonym of 'moderating'.

And a happy new year :hi:

b

azkad

Member Type
Academic
Native Language
Uzbek
Home Country
Uzbekistan
Current Location
Uzbekistan
I do uphold the moderators' reaction. Please, forum members do understand their hard and time-consuming work. Thus far, I have also been given similar advice. I did not get upset, rather I followed their recommendations. OWING TO YOUR HELP MY DEAR MODERATORS I HAVE CHANGED A LOT IN MY CAREER. THANK YOU AND GOD BLESS YOU ALL!

Status
Not open for further replies.